Bears blow past Fontbonne for 22nd time in a row

Heman Duplechan | Staff Reporter

The Washington University women’s soccer team picked up another win against their neighbors, Fontbonne University, on Friday night, 2-0. The Bears have dominated this rivalry in the past and the present, now leading the series 22-0.

Curran Neenan | Student Life

Forward Marissa Kalkar lays the ball off to a teammate amid pressure from a University of St. Thomas defender. The Bears suffered a double overtime loss against the Tommies Sept. 8.

The story of this year’s edition of the rivalry was made of long shots, with the Bears’ two goals both coming from more than 30 yards out. The Red and Green opened the scoring in the 13th minute when junior midfielder Kristen Reikersdorfer unleashed a beauty from long range. The Fontbonne defense thought they had cleared the ball far enough away after a corner kick. However, it ended up at the foot of Reikersdorfer, whose shot left the Fontbonne keeper with no choice but to helplessly watch it soar into the corner. The remainder of the first half continued to go all Wash. U.’s way, with the Bears unleashing multiple shots on the Fontbonne net. However, the half would end with the Red and Green’s advantage at 1-0.

The second half began with the Bears continuing to dominate the game, as senior forward Taylor Cohen fired a shot that hit the post just two minutes into the half. With the Bears controlling the majority of the game’s possession, the Fontbonne defense began to tire, forcing them to resort to fouling in order to disrupt the flow of the Bears’ offense. However, the Red and Green continued to put on the pressure, with the ball always seeming to be in dangerous areas. The Bears finally doubled their advantage in the 71st minute. Sophomore midfielder Erin Flynn, who had scored just once before this season, captured her second goal of the year in spectacular fashion, firing a missile from 32 yards out that gave the Fontbonne keeper no chance. With a two-goal lead and some breathing room, the rest of the match required the Bears to stay defensively disciplined and see the game out.

The Bears are now 5-0 since their early-season loss to the University of St. Thomas, and have outscored their opponents by a combined score of 18-3. Head coach Jim Conlon is also now just three wins away from joining the 200 Club, as Friday’s win gave Conlon his 197th victory as head coach of the team. The Bears will be taking on another local rival, Webster University, in their next time on the field, when the two teams clash at Soccer Park in Fenton Mo. This coming Wednesday evening.