Busy opening weekend brings home mixed bag for WU

and | Senior Sports Editors

The fall sports season is already underway, from Minnesota to Francis Field and Forest Park. Here’s what you missed this week:

Women’s Soccer

Washington University shut out their first three opponents of the year, blasting Calvin University and Greenville University, each 3-0, and tying with no. 15 Hope College, 0-0.

Friday night’s game against Calvin started with a flurry, as all three of the Bears’ goals came in the first 15 minutes of play. Sophomore Gabbie Cesarone tucked one into the back of the net after a corner kick in the third minute, quickly followed by another goal by sophomore Ariana Miles in the fifth minute. Junior Ellie DeConinck capped off the scoring with a goal in the 13th minute. Junior Kristen Riekersdorfer got the assist on the first and last of the goals.

An abundance of opportunities never materialized into a goal against Hope on Saturday. Wash. U. outshot Hope 27-6, but Hope keeper Jordanne Ellingboe had an outstanding day, recording 10 saves. Wash. U. goalkeeper Emma Greenfield made a clutch save in the 93rd minute to preserve the draw.

Tuesday’s home opener against Greenville was a mauling as the Bears outshot the Panthers 30-0. DeConinck and sophomore Erin Flynn each scored in the first half. In the 76th minute, sophomore Marissa Kalkar finished a cross to record her first goal of the season and push the score to 3-0.

The Red and Green will take to Francis Field on Saturday, Sept. 7th at 1 p.m. against no. 19 St. Thomas.

Men’s Soccer

A weekend trip to Minnesota brought men’s soccer two hard fought games, yet the Red and Green arrived home without a win to their name after a loss to no. 11 St. Thomas, 1-0, and a draw against Macalester, 0-0 after two overtimes. The Bears outshot St. Thomas in the first half of their game last Friday, 7-2, but a red card on sophomore Alistair Shaw just before halftime allowed the Tommies a penalty kick that ended up being enough for the win.

Wash. U. committed 13 fouls overall and got off just two shots in the second half, as playing a man down hampered the team’s offensive capability. On Sunday, the Bears got off 14 shots while allowing just 10, yet could not convert any of their scoring chances. Wash. U. also kept the ball out of its own goal, however, as sophomore goalkeeper Matt Martin kept Macalester scoreless for his first career shutout. In one of the weekend’s bright spots, freshman Julian Gancman had six shots, leading the Bears and demonstrating the intense ability of one of Wash. U.’s largest freshman classes in years. The team opens its home season tomorrow at 7 p.m. against Pacific Lutheran.

Volleyball

After a 2-2 split in last weekend’s Bear Invitational, no. 25 Wash. U. moved to 3-2 on the season with a 3-1 victory over no. 24 Illinois Wesleyan last night. The Bears opened with a straight set win, 3-0, over neighborly rival Fontbonne last Friday before falling to Hendrix, 3-2, in their second game of the day. Saturday began with a tight loss to North Park, 3-2, before the Red and Green bounced back with a 3-1 win over Cornell College in the afternoon match.

Curran Neenan | Student Life

Senior Leila King blocks a Cornell College hit Saturday in the Field House. King leads the team with a .438 hitting percentage.

Senior Leila King has dominated so far for the Bears, amassing over the team’s first five matches a hitting percentage of .438, the same mark that Wash. U.’s own Julianne Malek held last year to lead the University Athletic Association. Sophomores Michaela Bach and Caitlin Lorenz have joined King on the attack with 47 and 43 kills respectively.

On the defensive side, senior Zoe Baxter and juniors Kirby Knapp and Rachel Cheng have proved indispensable, all with more than two digs per set and Baxter an impressive four per set. The Red and Green look to build on their two-game win streak when they travel to Dubuque, Iowa, this weekend, for four matches in the Loras Invite.

Golf

Freshman Annie Mascot earned University Athletic Association Athlete of the Week honors as she led the field at three-over 75 at the I-70 Duel on Saturday. Her stand-out performance, along with solid days from seniors Samantha Haubenstock and Emily Carnes and freshmen Emma Lee and Alena Lindh, were enough to guide the no. 9 Bears to a victory over NAIA William Woods.

Cross Country

Wash. U. cross country does not start its competition until September 21, but the Bears are already fighting hard in preparation for the long season ahead. At the Gabby Reuveni Intrasquad meet last Saturday, the Red and Green put on a show for passerby in Forest Park. Sophomore Emma Walter won the women’s 4.17 kilometer race with a time of 15:22.9, while senior Ben Gersch came first in the men’s 6 kilometer race with a time of 19:30.9.

Both the men’s and women’s teams won the UAA championship last fall, and the women won the NCAA tournament, their first championship since 2011, so expectations are high this fall. On the women’s side, eyes are on senior Paige Lawler, the Bears’ first-ever national champion, and senior Sophie Watterson, whose performance last year earned her All-American recognition. For the men, senior Nick Matteuci is a player to watch, as is junior Joe Stover, who earned All-Midwest honors last season.

The Red and Green open up the official season with the Gil Dodds Invitational in Warrenville, IL, in two weeks, and more competitive racing is quick to follow, with the UAA championships the first weekend of November in Pittsburgh.