WU softball rebounds to take three of four against Carnegie Mellon

Miguel Campos | Staff Reporter

The Washington University softball team bounced back after a tough weekend against Emory to take 3 of their 4 games against Carnegie Mellon University this weekend. After sweeping the double header on Friday, the Bears split with CMU on Saturday.

First on the docket was Wash. U.’s freshman pitcher Madison Denton (6-4) squaring off against Carnegie Mellon’s freshman pitcher Scotty McGee (5-4) on Friday morning.

The action would not take long to start as Wash. U.’s leadoff hitter, freshman utility player Katie Gould, managed to single down the left side to start her team off. Gould would advance to second on the groundout by junior outfielder Amy Walsh. After a swift steal by Gould, a walk to senior infielder Taylor Arends put runners on the corners with only one away. With junior utility player Mikaela Arredondo up to bat, a bold double steal by Arends and Gould allowed Gould to score and give Wash. U. the early lead, 1-0.

Taylor Arends swings at an Emory University pitch on Apr. 6. Grace Bruton | Student Life

Taylor Arends swings at an Emory University pitch on Apr. 6.

Carnegie Mellon was quick to respond in their half of the inning. They managed to put themselves in the same position as Wash. U., with runners on the corners and one out. To add on to the coincidence, Carnegie’s Io Jette-Kouri stole second, and off the throwing error by sophomore catcher Julia Flores, Carnegie’s Emily Song would come in to tie the game at one a piece.

Carnegie Mellon would go on to score a run in the third off an error by Arends when trying to stop a double steal. Carnegie scored another run in the fifth off a groundout. Wash. U. would get their chances to come back, such as when they had runners on second and third in the sixth with two down, but a key strikeout by the starter McGee kept the score at 1-3.

At the top of seventh and down two, Wash. U. needed to get something going as they prepared to take their swings. A leadoff walk drawn by sophomore pitcher/outfielder Kendall Schwartz put the tying run at the plate. A subsequent error by Song put runners on the corners with nobody out. Then, a bunt single by Gould scored utility player Nicole Hay—who pinch ran for Schwartz—and put Flores on third with still nobody out. After a pop out by Walsh and a second stolen base by Gould, a single to the right side by Arends brought in Flores and Gould to give Wash. U. a 4-3 lead. Wash. U. would add a handy insurance run off a sacrifice fly by freshman infielder Kirsten Drabek, bringing their lead to two heading to the bottom of the seventh. Denton finished the game, earning her seventh win and sixth complete game of the season.

The second game on Friday pitted Wash. U.’s sophomore pitcher/infielder Abby Graegin (1-5) go up against Carnegie Mellon’s freshman pitcher Gwen Delacruz (2-5).

Like in game one, each team scored a run in the first inning. For Wash. U., a two-out triple by Arends down the left field line set up Arredondo, who batted in Arends for the early score. For Carnegie Mellon, a single, error and wild pitch got Song on third base, where she was brought in by an RBI groundout by freshman middle infielder Megan Hu.

As in game one, Carnegie Mellon took on a two-run lead. After the Tartans scored two runs in the second, freshman pitcher Holly Stoner would come in to relieve Graegin with a runner on base. Stoner escaped the inning with no more damage done.

Wash. U. erased the deficit in the third, letting the floodgates open for five runs. Following a single, Gould got on second off a throwing error by the second baseman Audra Scheinman. An RBI double by Walsh brought Gould in to cut the lead in half. The Red and Green took the lead off the next batter as Arends hit an RBI single to bring in Walsh and eventually herself off an error by the right fielder Rae Lasko. A couple of batters later, Drabek and sophomore utility player Natasha Ramakrishnan hit back to back triples to score another. Flores added one more run off an RBI groundout, as Wash. U. found themselves with a three run lead, 6-3.

Wash. U. padded the lead further off an RBI single to centerfield by Arredondo to bring the score to 7-3. This would end up being the final score, as the umpires decided to call it after just six innings.

Saturday opened with Denton (7-4) up against Delacruz (2-6).

After a scoreless opening inning from Wash. U., Carnegie Mellon loaded up the bases with no outs in the bottom of the first. Freshman catcher/third baseman Piper Johnson hit a three-run triple to clear the bases and push the score to 0-3. Denton pulled it together after that and got out of the innings with no further damage. Carnegie added two more runs in the fourth inning to go up five runs heading into the final frames.

Katie Gould hits against Emory. The Bears won three games against Carnegie Mellon University this weekend.Grace Bruton | Student Life

Katie Gould hits against Emory. The Bears won three games against Carnegie Mellon University this weekend.

The Bears tried to claw back starting in the fifth inning. They scored two off an error and an RBI groundout. Wash. U. then added another in the sixth via an RBI single by Arredondo to cut the lead to 2, 3-5. However, their effort was not enough to overcome the five run hole they had found themselves in. Delacruz completed the game, earning her third win of the season heading into the last game of the series.

Wash. U’s Stoner (2-0) faced off with CMU’s McGee (5-5) to close the series.

The hitting commenced early for the Bears as Walsh got Wash. U. started with a single up the middle. Walsh advanced to second after Gould reached on an error by shortstop Hu. A fly out to right would get Walsh to third, but keeping the double play opportunity an option for McGee. However, despite the defense’s position, Arredondo managed to line one up the middle past McGee to bring in Walsh, making the score 1-0. After a 1-2-3 inning by Stoner, Wash. U. would add another run off of Walsh’s single to the left, increasing the lead to 2-0.

Carnegie cut the lead down to 2-1 in the bottom of the second, but Wash. U. would get a run right back off a sacrifice fly by senior infielder/catcher Josi Elder, reestablishing the two-run lead in the third inning. Wash. U. sprinkled in two runs in each of the sixth and seventh innings to end with a score of 7-1.

The name of the game was Stoner’s stone-cold outing, as she only allowed five hits, one run (unearned), and racked up a total of eight strikeouts. She received her third win and her first complete game of her young career.

Notable achievements include Walsh and Arends moving into a two way tie for second place for total triples in Wash. U. history (only behind alumni Hannah Mehrle), Elder now being ninth all-time in walks. Walsh now is fourth in the UAA conference in batting average (.418) and Gould is now second in the conference in stolen bases (17).

The Bears ended the series over .500 with a 12-11 overall record and a 4-4 UAA conference. They will look to continue this roll in home match against Fontbonne University Tuesday, April 16th at 4:00 p.m., followed by a four-game set against New York University next weekend in Purchase, New York.