Women’s track and field wins Billiken Invitational, men place second

The Washington University outdoor track and field teams battled at the Billiken Invitational this weekend, with the women finishing first over host Saint Louis University and the men finishing second to SLU.

The women’s team narrowly edged out the Division I Billikens, 212.5 points to 207.5, with six first-place finishes. It was an all-St. Louis affair, with Fontbonne University finishing third at 92 points and all other squads combining for 84 points.

Sophomore Julia Dannenbaum delivered one of those first-place finishes during Friday’s opening action, winning the pole vault with a height of 3.90 meters, breaking her career-best outdoor mark of 3.78 set at last year’s University Athletic Association Championships. Her indoor best is slightly higher at 3.91 meters, set during February’s Illinois College Hilltop Invitational.

On Saturday, junior Anna Cossio (high jump), sophomore Caira Watson Haynes (100-meter dash), sophomore Savannah Groos (200-meter dash) and senior Natalie Rogus (800-meters) also captured individual top marks. The relay team, composed of sophomores Josephine Simon and Rachel Novick and freshmen Katherine Dudley and Ava Forman, rounded out the first-place finishers in a shade over four minutes.

Sophomore Eka Jose, though not a top finisher, landed a triple jump of 12.00 meters, good for the day’s best DIII score as Jose finished only behind a Billiken.

The men actually captured more first-place finishes (with a total of seven), but landed behind SLU, 236 points to 205. No other team was in the top two’s vicinity, with the final four colleges tallying just 120 points combined.

Sophomore John Harry Wagner paced the Bears with a 48.07-second win in the 400-meter race and as part of a relay team that also finished fastest in 43.43 seconds. Wagner’s 400-meter time is the second-best DIII time in the nation this season and the third-best in Wash. U. history.

Senior Eddie Wintergalen and junior Nick Matteucci matched Groos’s and Rogus’s performances, respectively, in winning the 200- and 800-meter races, while senior Tim Goblirsch also won the pole vault. Sophomore Andrew Whitaker leapt to victories in the 110- and 400-meter hurdles, while the Red and Green added another relay win.

The Bears stay relatively local next weekend as they travel to Greenville, Ill., for the Greenville Select Saturday.