Softball takes one of four in rough stretch of games against Emory

Miguel Campos | Staff Reporter

The Washington University softball team opened UAA play against Emory University. Emory, who came into Wash. U. territory with a 4-0 conference record and an 18-4 overall record, got the best of the Bears, taking three of the four games and blowing out Wash. U. in both games on Sunday.

Their first game was played early Saturday afternoon at 1:00 PM. For Emory, Madeline Maday (5-1) took the mound against Wash. U.’s freshman pitcher Madison Denton (5-3).

The excitement started in Wash. U.’s half of the third inning. After a leadoff walk given up by Maday to freshman utility player Katie Gould, junior outfielder Amy Walsh bunted a sacrifice to advance Gould into scoring position. This decision would end up paying off, as senior infielder Taylor Arends would take her next at bat to single to the right side, driving in Gould to give Wash. U. an early 1-0 lead. Junior utility player Mikaela Arredondo kept the train rolling with a single to put runners at the corners with only one out. Not wasting the opportunity, freshman infielder Kirsten Drabek lined up a single down the middle to drive in Arends and give Wash. U. a 2-0 lead going into the fourth.

Sophomore Kendall Schwartz pitches in the last game of the Bears’ conference against Emory University. The Washington University softball team lost 3 of 4 games to Emory this weekend.Grace Bruton | Student Life

Sophomore Kendall Schwartz pitches in the last game of the Bears’ conference against Emory University. The Washington University softball team lost 3 of 4 games to Emory this weekend.

Emory responded with two runs off a single by Sarah Katz to tie the score at 2-2.

During the bottom half of the frame, Wash. U. took back the lead. Following a leadoff walk given up by Maday to sophomore catcher Julia Flores, the Emory head coach decided to relieve Maday with a pitching substitution. Senior pitcher Toko Miller took the mound to try to take care of the base runner at first. With runners at the corners with two outs, Arends knocked one up the middle to drive in junior outfielder Hannah Bloom, who pinch ran for Flores and Gould to give the Bears a 4-2 lead. Arredondo doubled to left to drive in Arends, giving Wash. U. a three-run lead. After a fielding error allowed Arredondo to score herself, the inning ended with Wash. U. up 6-2.

Emory did their best to erase the deficit, scoring three runs in the final three innings. However, freshman pitcher Holly Stoner, who came in to relieve Denton in the 7th, was able to get the win after striking out one batter and forcing a fly out to right. The game was both Emory’s first conference loss and Wash. U.’s first conference win of the season.

The second game pitted Wash. U.’s sophomore pitcher/infielder Abby Graegin (1-4) against Emory sophomore pitcher Madison Schaefer (7-1).

The scoring came early in the game. A hit batter and a single had runners on first and second with two outs in the Emory half of the first. Senior Cassie Baca scored off a single to give Emory the edge in the opening frame.

The Bears threatened to answer immediately, when an error by Baca put runners on second and third with one out. However, Schaefer got out of the sticky situation unscathed, as she proceeded to strike out Flores and get senior infielder/catcher Josi Elder to ground out to third base.

In the third inning, after Graegin escaped a runner on third and nobody-out situation, Wash. U. managed to get a run to tie the game. An RBI single to right brought Gould in to push the score to 1-1.

Emory regained their lead in the fourth inning off of a passed ball, which allowed a runner to score, making the game 1-2 in their favor.

Emory added an insurance run in their half of the seventh, as an RBI single by Baca drove in Jenna Wilson to give them a 1-3 lead heading into the second half of the final frame.

In the bottom of the 7th, Arredondo singled in a run to reduce the lead to 2-3. The tying run for the Bears was in scoring position on second with two outs. Schaefer ended the comeback effort on the next batter with a groundout to tie the series at 1-1.

Emory’s Miller (6-1) took Denton (6-3) on in the first Sunday game at 11:00 a.m.

Emory’s Mattie Ryan managed to get a hold of a pitch and drill it over the wall, scoring herself and Greta Wilker to give the team the two run lead. The fireworks from Emory weren’t finished. In the fifth inning, Emory piled on a total of seven runs through four hits and an error to give them a massive 9-0 lead. The large lead led the umpires to call the game after the fifth inning. Wash. U. managed only three hits in the game.

The last game of the four game set had Emory’s Schaefer (8-1) pitching against Wash. U.’s sophomore pitcher/outfielder Kendall Schwartz.

Emory built off of their momentum from the earlier game, scoring four runs in the first frame. It was a brutal day for Schwartz, who was pulled in the fourth with the bases loaded. She ceded 8 runs in her time on the mound. Graegin and junior pitcher/outfielder Hannah McCall were called in to extinguish the fiery bats of Emory, but they, too, were unsuccessful. Emory would end up scoring five more runs after Schwartz’s departure. Wash. U. managed three runs in the game, but it was still called after 5 innings, with Emory leading 3-13.

Wash. U. heads into this week with a 9-10 overall record and a 1-3 conference record. The Bears will attempt to rebound in Pittsburgh this week in a four game set against Carnegie Mellon starting April 12 at 2 PM EDT.