Baseball topples MacMurray for seventh straight victory

The Washington University baseball team is firing on all cylinders. The Bears, now ranked No. 18 in Division III, dominated every aspect of the game Wednesday afternoon against MacMurray College at Kelly Field, closing an 11-0 shutout in just seven innings.

Facing a paltry 4-14 MacMurray team, the Bears, now 16-3-1, played down to the competition over the first three innings, matching zeros with the Highlanders. Junior starting pitcher Matt Ashbaugh went four strong with three strikeouts and a walk in his best outing of the season, lowering his ERA to just 2.00. While Ashbaugh did not get the win this game, the Red and Green have not lost any of his outings this spring.

The Bears celebrate scoring a double in the bottom of the sixth inning. The Red and Green shut out MacMurray College 11-0 Wednesday, April 3 in a game that ended in the seventh inning.Grace Bruton | Student Life

The Bears celebrate scoring a double in the bottom of the sixth inning. The Red and Green shut out MacMurray College 11-0 Wednesday, April 3 in a game that ended in the seventh inning.

The Wash. U. bats finally broke through in the fourth frame, taking advantage of a powerful middle of the order. Junior first baseman John Brinkman led off with a single, freshman right fielder Jackson Gray followed with a double and fellow freshman, left fielder Brendan Hall, followed with a sacrifice fly to plate Brinkman. Sophomore third baseman Collin Kahal and senior second baseman Evan Nagel delivered back-to-back run-scoring singles later in the inning to stretch the lead to three.

In the next inning, the Bears really broke the game open. After a quick out, Brinkman again got things started, this time with his legs. He reached on an error by the third baseman, advancing to second on the play before moving to third on an ensuing wild pitch. This time, junior center fielder John Ostrander did the job with a sac fly, clearing the bases with two outs.

Junior Daniel Broadie slides into third base in the bottom of the sixth inning. Grace Bruton | Student Life

Junior Daniel Broadie slides into third base in the bottom of the sixth inning.

Still, the Bears kept at work. After a Gray walk, Hall delivered the big blow, a home run to left field. The fireworks did not stop there, as sophomore Johnny LaMantia followed with a pinch-hit triple, while Kahal and Nagel made it four straight extra-base hits to make it a 9-0 laugher.

In the bottom of the sixth, the Bears still cruising on the back of sophomore relief pitcher Tim Tague, a familiar theme played out: Brinkman singled, Ostrander drove home a run with a fly ball. Junior Andrew Kleiboeker nearly added a second home run to the contest, but a dispute had it called back for a double.

Still, the 11-0 margin brought on the mercy rule. Freshman Teddy Washington made his college debut to seal the deal, firing a scoreless seventh inning. He struck out one batter, throwing 11 of 13 pitches for strikes. After just an hour and 45 minutes, the Bears had won.

The Bears, looking to keep the hot play going, head to Brandeis University for a four-game set this weekend.