Women’s track runs to runner-up finish at indoor national championship, men finish fifth

Dorian DeBose | Senior Sports Editor

Over spring break, the Washington University women’s track and field team placed second at the NCAA Division III Indoor Track and Field National Championship. They were narrowly edged out of first place after Williams College surged ahead on the final day of competition. The men’s track and field team placed fifth.

Sophomore Eka Jose placed first in the triple jump with a distance of 12.16 meters. Jose won the event going away. She was the only competitor to reach a distance greater than 12 meters. Jose was the only top finisher for the Bears in the competition.

Several Wash. U. competitors earned podium finishes over the course of the competition. Senior Heidi Nassos placed second in the pole vault with a height of 3.95 meters. The height was also her personal record. Sophomore Caira Watson Haynes finished third in the 60-meter hurdles. She posted a time of 8.69 seconds, a school record. Graduate student Aly Wayne also broke a school record when she placed third in the 5000-meter run with a time of 16:36.40.

On the men’s side, freshmen Alex Cobin and Jacob Ridderhoff, sophomore Arthur Santoro, and junior Nick Matteucci placed third in the distance medley relay. They completed the race in 10:00.31. Matteucci also finished second in the mile with a school-record- time of 4:07.99. His national runner-up time earned him his third All-American honor of his career. The team of sophomores John Harry Wagner, Andrew Whitaker, junior Eddie Wintergalen and senior Jason Singer placed second in the 4×400-meter relay. Their 3:15.18 time broke the school record for the third time this season.

A handful of other Wash. U. competitors earned All-American Honors during the weekend. Sophomores Julia Dannenbaum, Sophie Grigaux and Rachel Novick, and seniors Brad Hodkinson, Abby Martin and Molly Shepherd were all named All-Americans for their efforts.

Through the first day of competition, the women’s team had earned 24 points and led the competition. The men’s team was in fifth with 11 points. Both teams add 16 points to their total on the second day of the competition. The men’s team tied for fifth with University of Wisconsin–Platteville. The women were in first entering the last event of the competition when Williams supplanted them. Williams finished with 42 points compared to the Bears’ 40.

The Bears will start the outdoor track season on Saturday, March 23 in St. Louis.