WU swimming and diving falls to D-I Illinois State on senior day

Dorian DeBose | Senior Sports Editor

Seniors on the Washington University swimming and diving team swam at their last home meet on Saturday. The Bears defeated No. 25 Wabash College 172.5-107.5, but fell 156-142 to Division I Illinois State.

Seniors members of the swimming team were honored at the competition. They have contributed to three consecutive top-10 finishes in their time at Wash. U.

As a team, men’s swimming and diving claimed 11 top finishes and the women’s team earned seven.

Seniors Kevin Van Cleave and Brandon Lum posted NCAA B Cut times in the breaststroke and butterfly, respectively. Van Cleave swam the 100-meter breaststroke in 56.10, earning first place in the event in the process. In addition to his B Cut time in the 100m breastroke, Van Cleave also posted the fastest time in the 200-meter Individual Medley (IM), with a time of 1:55.03. Lum finished the 200-meter butterfly in 1:48.36, also winning the event. Lum also won the 100-meter butterfly, clocking in at 49.67.

The men’s team kicked off the meet with a first place finish in the 200-meter Medley Relay. Junior Peyton Wilson, sophomore Matthew Yang, junior James Hardy and junior Chase Van Patten won with a time of 1:33.99. Van Patten also placed first in the 100-meter freestyle and 50-meter freestyle, with times of 46.77 and 21.68, respectively. Other first place finishers on Saturday were freshman Rick Reinhard (9:51.91 in the 1,000-meter freestyle and 4:43.93 in the 500-meter freestyle), freshman Barclay Dale (51.36 in the 100-meter backstroke), sophomore Matthew Grottkau (2:13.60 in the one-meter dive) and senior Jordan Wheeler (1:56.39 in the 200-meter backstroke).

The women’s team won the opening 200-meter medley relay, as well. The quartet of sophomore Elle Pollitt, junior Stephanie Li, junior Lauren Sapp, and junior Mollie Seidner posted a time of 1:47.51. Seidner excelled throughout the day, winning the 50-meter freestyle with a time of 24.55 and the 100-meter freestyle with a time of 53.38. Her relay teammates also had solid individual performances. Sapp won the 200-meter freestyle after finishing the race with a time of 1:57.43. Li posted two podium finishes, winning the 200-meter breaststroke (2:23.21) and finishing second in the 100-meter breaststroke (1:05.55)

Freshmen Kiki Bonetta-Misteli and Stephanie Bowater punctuated Senior day, demonstrating that the future is as bright as the present with first place finishes in the 100-meter backstroke and 100-meter butterfly, respectively.

The Bears will travel to Chicago from Feb. 13-16 to compete in the UAA Championships.