Women’s golf wraps up season at Kathy Niepangan Spring Fling

Jon Lewis | Senior Sports Editor

The Washington University women’s golf team finished up its season this weekend, traveling to Normal, Illinois to compete with 22 other schools in the Kathy Niepangan Spring Fling, hosted by Illinois Wesleyan University. The Bears had a strong outing, finishing second overall and first among Division III teams.

The field was led by the Indiana Institute of Technology, a National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) team, which finished in first with a cumulative score of 609, putting them at 33 over par. Wash. U. was not far behind, tallying a total score of 623.

The individual leader for the Bears was freshman Angelica Harris. Harris placed fourth overall, shooting a seven-over-par score of 151 across the two rounds and earning all-tournament honors in the process. Junior Erin Drolet also was an all-tournament selection; her overall score of 154 was good for ninth place.

The trip to Illinois marks the last outing for the Bears this regular season, wrapping up a run of invitational tournaments in the spring. Prior to that, Wash. U. had secured second place in their conference, finishing runner-up to New York University at the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship in Sorrento, Florida on March 12. At that tournament, freshman Samantha Haubenstock earned the conference’s Freshman of the Year award, after matching the championship’s third-best score.

With their regularly scheduled slate of competitions completed, the Bears now will wait for May 1, when the NCAA will announce the field for the national championship. If Wash. U., currently the top-ranked team in the central region, is selected, they will travel down to Houston, Texas, to play the best teams in the country at the Bay Oaks Country Club from May 9 to 11.