Washington University winter break sports by the numbers

While most students were enjoying a relaxing winter break at home, the No. 4-ranked Washington University women’s basketball team was busy maintaining its undefeated record, which included three blowout victories and a 65-52 win over the University of Chicago to kick off University Athletic Association play.

Senior forward Matt Paucki prepares to make a pass against Trinity University on Dec. 6. Palucki led the team with 23 points and 10 rebounds against Coe College over winter break on Dec. 20.

Meanwhile, the then-top-ranked men’s basketball team defeated Coe College, 88-78, before losing its undefeated record and No. 1 ranking with a humbling 63-43 loss at Chicago. And at the WU Invitational, the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams won a combined 30 of 34 events to sweep the team titles.

In case you weren’t actively monitoring Wash. U. sports over the break, here are a few other key athletic accomplishments.

28 total wins posted by the men’s basketball team in 2014 compared to just one defeat

79 points scored by the men’s basketball team’s starters in the Bears’ victory over the CoeKohawks, with senior forward Matt Palucki leading the team with 23 points and 10 rebounds

16 consecutive UAA wins for the men’s basketball team until the Red and Green’s conference-opening loss at Chicago

Senior forward Melissa Gilkey drives past a Southwestern University defender on Nov. 22. Gilkey led the Bears with 34 points against Fontbonne University in a 88-35 win over winter break on Dec. 18.

34 points scored by senior forward Melissa Gilkey, as well as the number of turnovers forced by the women’s basketball team in the Bears’ 88-35 win over Fontbonne University

675 career victories for women’s basketball coach Nancy Fahey, who is in her 29th season at the helm

12 seasons since the women’s basketball team last began UAA conference play with an undefeated overall record

54.98 junior Grace Counts’ winning time in the 100-yard freestyle for the women’s swimming and diving team at the WU Invitational

4 first-place finishes for sophomore Justin Morrell at the WU Invitational, three of which were individual triumphs