Men’s tennis dominates on senior day, women lose on the road

On Senior Day, the Washington University No. 2 men’s tennis team cruised to a 9-0 victory over Westminster College (Mo.) at the Tao Tennis Center while the No. 9 women fell to Division II University of Missouri-St. Louis on the road.

On the men’s side, the Red and Green were dominant in both doubles and singles. In singles, the Bears had all straight-set victories and had eight 6-0 set victories in the six matches, with the closest set a still dominant 6-2. In doubles, the Bears earned two 8-0 wins and an 8-2 win. In total, Wash. U. won 10 sets without conceding a game and only lost seven games overall.

The win upped the team’s record to 16-2 in the team’s final match before the University Athletic Association tournament. The match was the final game for four seniors: Naveen Chadalavada, Max Franklin, Jeffrey Hirsh and Tim Noack. The seniors have accumulated a 74-23 (.763 winning percentage) record over their four years.

“It was nice. I’m glad that all of the seniors got to play and it was fun in our last match,” Noack said.

Conversely, the women’s team’s eight-game win streak was snapped in a 6-3 defeat, which dropped the team’s record to 15-4. In first-flight doubles, sophomores Jamie Silverberg and Aly Coran won 8-4 to improve their doubles record to 14-7. Additionally, sophomore Erin Wong and senior Theresa Petraskova were victorious in second doubles.

Although the Bears led 2-1 after doubles, they could not keep the momentum going into singles and lost five of six matches. Senior Betsy Edershile was the lone winner in fourth-flight singles, by a score of 8-3. Petraskova and senior Corinne Rauck both lost close singles matches in tiebreakers 9-8 (7-4) that swung the match in UMSL’s favor. According to Silverberg, the team saw the match as good practice as a tune-up before the UAA tournament.

“We had a really good tournament last weekend, and I think we saw UMSL as a good match just to be able to play against people that we don’t know because a lot of our practices are playing against each other and we get sick of playing against our own teammates, so we just saw it as another practice,” Silverberg said. “I think we just took it as practice maybe a little bit too lightly, but it enabled a lot of different people on our team to be able to play that usually aren’t given the chance, so I think in that sense it was good.”

Next up for the men and women’s teams are the 2014 UAA Championships on April 25-27 in Altamonte Springs, Fla. Going into the UAA tournament, the women’s team is excited to prove itself.

“I think we feel like this year’s team is really strong and we have a lot of potential. Going forward, we realize how our team is able to bond and how we’re really able to come together as a team. Playing Chicago, I think, really made us realize that. Their team camaraderie was not so great, so looking at ours, it really helped us to see that we have a lot of strengths, and I think we are really pumped up for the [UAA Tournament],” Silverberg said.

Meanwhile, the men’s team is also feeling confident going into the tournament, where the team hopes to repeat as conference champions.

“We know that there are going to be some tough matches and that it’s going to be really hot in Florida, so we are going to have to be physically in good shape and also mentally to compete with these teams, but we are feeling good and confident and hopefully we repeat,” Noack said.