Men’s soccer, Emory battle to 1-1 tie in Atlanta

On a hot and humid Sunday in Atlanta, playing to double overtime was not a preference for the No. 15 Washington University men’s soccer team. The Bears couldn’t break through and get a win either, but they were content with a 1-1 tie against Emory University in the first game of University Athletic Association play.

The 6-2-2 Bears played to overtime for the third time this season and second time in nine days, after a 3-2 double-overtime loss to No. 8 Wheaton College Sept. 28.

“We would rather win the game in regulation, but our guys are in good shape, and we’re ready to go 90 minutes-plus if we need to,” senior goalkeeper Jonathan Jebson said. “We’re ready to go 110 or 115 minutes if we need to.”

The Bears and Eagles played to a scoreless tie until the 62nd minute, when Emory’s Carl Credle shot off the crossbar and into the net. Six minutes later, the Red and Green countered off a corner kick from senior midfielder Michael Flowers to sophomore midfielder Ike Witte, who headed the ball into the goal. It was Witte’s first goal of the season.

Witte’s contribution spoke positively to the team’s younger players, who have had opportunities for more playing time thanks to the overtime games.

“We’re developing a little more depth now,” junior midfielder Jonathan Lipsey said. “A lot of young guys stepped in today and played well, and that’s one thing we really need to work on, is getting our younger guys in there.”

For freshmen, the game was their first ever against a UAA opponent.

“There’s an intensity some of our younger guys might not have experienced before in a college setting,” Jebson said. “But we’re happy with a tie—that we fought through that and came back from 1-0 down.”

The Bears had chances down the stretch to take over the lead but couldn’t convert.

“We had the ball a lot of the time at their end and put them under a lot of pressure,” Jebson said. “I really thought that maybe we could break them down in the final third…and be able to put them away, but we just couldn’t find that final ball.”

After playing three games in the last eight days and nearly 25 additional minutes thanks to overtimes, the Bears get a breather before their next game against No. 17 Carnegie Mellon University Saturday.