Introducing the Washington University Fall Fantasy Sports League

The rosters for this week's fall sport action.

For updated scoring and starters each week, check out Washington University Fall Fantasy Sports.

With football season ready to kick off, anticipation for the return of the country’s most popular sport drove many Americans to the draft board over Labor Day weekend as they filled out fantasy rosters.

We in Student Life’s sports section sought to transfer that excitement to Washington University athletics, and much like ESPN’s insiders competing in a fantasy league, we created the (unofficial) first-ever, school-specific, cross-sport fantasy league. The league’s rosters are populated with players from four fall sports—men’s and women’s soccer, volleyball and football. We used every bit of our knowledge of Red and Green sports to compose a well-rounded team.

The scoring system, a StudLife original creation, is designed to keep points equal across sports—there’s no advantage for volleyball, for instance, even though it plays the most games.

The trading rules, meanwhile, are the most entertaining element of the league. Want to trade a star striker for a streaking quarterback? An efficient outside hitter for a rumbling running back? Or even a libero for a goalie, exchanging digs for saves? They’re all options in our league, meaning the best part of fantasy sports—trying to hoodwink competitors by proposing lopsided deals—has been enhanced with cross-sport fun.

Senior Meghan Byrne, a two-time volleyball All-American, was the first selection in our draft. Following Byrne in the first round were volleyball freshman Alex Sheredy, whose role as a six-rotation player makes her a threat to collect both kills and digs; junior Anna Zambricki, last year’s co-MVP in the University Athletic Association and the leading scorer for women’s soccer; and senior Emily Tulloch, an all-conference middle hitter for the Bears’ volleyball squad.

Overall, nine of the top 12 picks were women, which makes sense considering that women’s soccer and volleyball are ranked fourth and seventh, respectively, in the country. With the Bears’ top rushing and receiving options from a year ago graduated, the football scene was a bit more muddled while several men’s soccer players received a boost from strong performances during the team’s unbeaten opening weekend.

Feel free to play along!

Round-by-round recap of Student Life Sports' fall sports fantasy draft.