Bears over the break: what you’ll miss

| Senior Sports Reporter

While campus will look fairly empty until winter break ends, some of Washington University’s athletic teams will be hard at work multiple times between Christmas and the start of the spring semester. Here’s a quick look at Wash. U.’s winter teams and what they’ll be doing over the next few weeks.

Men’s Basketball

After heading to Bloomington, Ill., to face Illinois Wesleyan University this upcoming Saturday, the Bears will be off until Dec. 30, when they will meet up and travel to Elmhurst, Ill., to take on Elmhurst College. They will come back to Wash. U. on Jan. 7 of the new year to take on conference rival University of Chicago in a match that begins University Athletic Association play for the Bears. Wash. U. will be on the road on the final weekend of break, traveling to Cleveland on Jan. 13 and Pittsburgh on Jan. 15 to face Case Western Reserve University and Carnegie Mellon University, respectively.

Women’s Basketball

The Bears will take on familiar rival Webster University on Saturday and will compete in Waverly, Iowa, on Dec. 29-30 in the Wartburg Holiday Tournament (hosted by Wartburg College), but their marquee matchup over break will be the one against Chicago on Jan. 7 at the Washington University Field House. Chicago, currently ranked No. 2 in the nation, got the best of the Bears in both regular season matchups—snapping a 40-game home win streak on Senior Day last year—before Wash. U. got revenge in the regional final round of the NCAA tournament. The game will be the biggest test of the season to date for the Bears, who will also close out their break with trips to CMU and Case Western.

Swimming and Diving

The swimming and diving teams will take their yearly winter break trip to Bradenton, Fla., for a team training and bonding session, before coming back to the Midwest in the week before the spring semester starts. Only the men’s team will go to Crawfordsville, Ind., to face Wabash College on Jan. 11, before both squads have their only home meet of the season. The Washington University Invitational will take place on Jan. 13-14 and will bring in teams from around the area and region.

Track and Field

With one meet already on the books, the track and field teams will be training on their own over break. They will head back to the site of their first meet—Bloomington, Ill.—on Jan. 14, where they will take part in the Illinois Wesleyan Double Dual Meet.