Offense quiet, turnovers rampant in upset loss to Greenville

Despite a late push, the Washington University football team could not overcome four turnovers and a stifled offense.

In the 17-7 defeat to Greenville College, the Bears were limited to just five first downs for the entire game and only 58 total yards of offense in the first half.

“We didn’t really find a rhythm offensively, so that put a lot of pressure on our defense,” junior wide receiver Tom Gulyas said. “They were on the field for a majority of the game.”

The defense played strongly, allowing just seven points after spending most of the opening half (23:37) on the field. Greenville only managed 77 passing yards in total but instead attacked heavily with an option-style offense.

“We actually didn’t expect them to run the option as much as they did, so that kind of caught us off guard,” senior linebacker and co-captain Andrew Berryman said.

The Bears’ troubles started early. On the first drive, senior running back and co-captain Matt Glenn was forced out of the game with a knee injury. Though he tried to return, earning 33 rushing yards, he left the game permanently in the second quarter.

“[Glenn] is definitely the emotional leader of the team, so that was a little hard to take, but we still have plenty of capable running backs behind him,” Gulyas said. “It hurt, but it was still something that we should’ve been able to play through.”

Starting quarterback Mitchel Bartel, a junior, was benched after two first-quarter interceptions, but his replacement, junior Stephen Sherman, provided no lift. The two combined for only 20 passing yards through the half.

With the game still scoreless, Panthers quarterback Austin Teer caught receiver Rendell Flood streaking into the end zone for a 19-yard touchdown pass with 4.7 seconds left in the first half.

Greenville took a 7-0 lead into the break.

Midway through the third quarter, Jumanne Bey intercepted Sherman’s pass and returned it 25 yards for another Greenville touchdown, making the score 14-0.

The team’s offense gained life briefly on the following drive after a 33-yard reception by halfback Greg Lachaud brought the Bears to the 18-yard line. Sherman fumbled the snap two plays later, however, and Greenville recovered.

“Offensively…we have to control the football,” head coach Larry Kindbom said. “We can’t turn the ball over, especially in our territory, and expect to keep other teams out.”

The Red and Green’s only score of the game came one minute into the fourth quarter. Gulyas caught a deep pass from Sherman and took it for a 53-yard touchdown reception, getting past two defenders on the play.

“Sherman threw an absolutely perfect pass, and I caught it in stride. We finally put it together,” Gulyas said. “We played a little bit better after that, but I think it was just too little too late.”

Despite building momentum for most of the fourth quarter, the Bears could not garner another attack. Two following drives fell flat.

Greenville’s 29-yard field goal with 1:26 left in the game pushed the score to 17-7, sealing their victory and an eye-opening defeat for the Bears.

“We definitely weren’t expecting to go out and play like that, but I think it will be a learning experience. It lets us know that we’re not where we should be,” Berryman said. “We need to pick it up in practice, and I’m positive that we will do that, come out next week at Westminster and show what we can do.”

Washington University (0-1)  hopes to rebound at Westminster College (0-1) on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.

Sophomore Easton Knott leaps into the air for an eventually-incomplete pass in Friday’s 17-7 loss against Greenville College. The Bears suffered four turnovers and had a quiet offense in the upset loss. (Matt Mitgang | Student Life)