Women’s golf ends season on high note

The Washington University women’s golf team swung strong at the Millikin University Spring Classic, a two-day tournament on April 17 and 18. The team finished with a cumulative score of 680, earning them fifth place amongst the 15 represented schools.

By the end of the first day, Wash. U. had grabbed fifth place, sitting 11 strokes behind fourth. Junior Margaret Manning led the Wash. U. women with a career-best performance, shooting an 82.

Manning, who joined the newly born golf team halfway through its first season, had a rough beginning to her season.

“After shooting a 106, I was just so disgusted with how I was playing that it was just like… either I’m going to continue… folding under pressure or I’m going to turn it around,” Manning said.

“I knew that she was capable of playing well,” Coach Sean Curtis said. “It was just an adjustment period of getting back out, being in competition… it took some hard work.”

Sophomore Kate Pettinato followed close behind in round one, shooting an 85, 13 above par.

Junior Kristia Zeschin, freshman Sarah Miller and freshman Katie Homa ended day one with respective rounds of 88, 88, and 90. The Bear’s individual entry, junior Elizabeth Pfohl, shot a 90.

On Saturday, Manning improved even further. She shot a 75, which was not only a new career-best but also a school record. The 75 tied for the lowest round shot at the tournament. Overall, Manning placed sixth.

“I’d never broken 80 before…so I didn’t exactly have [75] as a goal,” Manning said.

Zeschin and Pettinato both grabbed 34th overall, each shooting a total of 174. Miller placed 41st with a 177, and Homa grabbed 47th with a 178. Pfohl placed 58th with a score of 184.

“That kind of play for a program that is in its inaugural season is outstanding,” Curtis said. “This gives us room, coming into next year. It shows that we’re capable of playing with some good teams.”

After their overall performance at the Spring Classic, the Bears jumped from 52nd in the NCAA Division III team rankings to 39th. This leap of 13 spots lends promise to Wash. U.’s newly founded varsity program, giving hope of one day earning an invitation to the NCAA Division III Championships.

“I do think it’s a realistic goal for next year,” said Curtis, referring to the NCAA Division III Championships. “We have the foundations for that, and we just have to keep building on it.”

“The girls on the team are very strong. They are much more consistent than I am,” Manning said.

The Spring Classic concludes this year’s season for the Red and Green. With a strong season behind them, women’s golf is looking forward to the future.