Women’s soccer fall in NCAA tourney

| Sports Staff

Washington University women’s soccer lost to the defending national champions and No. 22 Wheaton College (Ill.) 3-0 in the third round of the NCAA tournament.

“We left it all on the field. We knew what we were up against. It was just unfortunate that they got the first goal. It really took us down a little,” junior Caryn Rosoff said.

“I don’t think anyone on our team was ready for the season to be over this weekend. At the same time, we have a lot to be proud of. It wasn’t a rebuilding year; we maintained our level of play. I’m so proud of all my teammates,” senior, co-captain Shirey Lane said.

The game, played at Wheaton, puts the No. 6 Bears final record at 15-4-2 (6-1 UAA) and ends the team’s title run led by first-year Head Coach Jim Conlon.

Wash. U. recorded just two shots on goal the entire match, compared to eight by Wheaton. The Bears could only muster seven shots the entire game compared with 22 by the Thunder.

After a scoreless first half, the Thunder got on the board on the 10th goal of the season by Kari Klynstra just more than eight minutes into the second half.

Conlon adjusted the team’s strategy to push for the equalizing goal, but Wheaton took advantage with an insurance goal from Erin Hodina in the 79th minute. A final goal in the 90th minute gave Wheaton its 3-0 victory.

“Overall it was a successful season, especially with the transition to a new coach. We really united as a team more than ever before,” Rosoff said.

“I just think everyone played really well. In general, we played our hearts out. Unfortunately, we didn’t go as far as we wanted to, but the season was successful,” senior Kristen Hilligoss said.

The 2008 season brought with it a third straight UAA title and NCAA tournament birth. Junior Libby Held, senior Caitlin Malone and Rosoff earned first-team all UAA honors while junior Becca Heymann earned second-team honors.

Senior goalkeeper Amanda Boe, freshman Lee Ann Felder and junior Carter Schwarberg all earned honorable mention all-UAA accolades. Boe was also named First-Team Academic All-American by ESPN The Magazine.

The team graduates eight seniors but retains leading goal scorers Rosoff and Felder.

“It’s hard for me as a senior to think that it’s really all over. But we [the seniors] are going to stay as involved as possible,” Lane said.

“The junior class all played really well in the game on Friday. I have no doubt on their abilities and our potential to go further next year,” Hilligoss said.

The team will look to add its fourth consecutive UAA title and NCAA tournament berth next season but also to improve on this season’s finish.

“Our goals for next year are going to be pretty much the same. Every year, we want to improve and go farther in the tournament. The number one thing on everyone’s mind is the national championship,” Rosoff said.