Women clinch third UAA title

The Washington University women’s soccer team won two fiercely competitive games this past weekend and emerged as the UAA conference champions for the third straight season and sixth season overall. The No. 8 Bears recorded 2-1 victories against No. 16 University of Rochester on Friday and then Case Western Reserve University on Sunday to seal the UAA title before the end of conference play. The Bears (14-2-1, 6-0-0 UAA) also secured an automatic bid into the NCAA Division III tournament by winning the conference title.

In the first game this weekend against Rochester, junior forward Caryn Rosoff scored twice in the 2-1 victory.

“We came really pumped. We knew we definitely needed a win… It was a really physical game. We really stepped it up and got the job done,” Rosoff said.

Rochester scored first in the match off of a corner kick in the tenth minute, but the lead was short-lived. After a spectacular offensive build-up, Rosoff chipped the ball over the opposing goalkeeper to even the score up at one apiece at the 13:15 mark.

Less then three minutes into the second half, Rosoff collected a deflected loose ball at the edge of the box, took it past a defender and launched the game-winning goal into the upper left corner.

“Rochester was a very physical game, but we were the much more skillful team,” junior back Cassie Scaman said.

With the win against Rochester, the Bears only needed to beat Case Western to get into the postseason and win the UAA championship.

“Against Case, it was about coming out and getting a championship. Everyone was into the game, and we played hard,” Rosoff said.

Again, the Bears fell behind first and entered the break trailing 1-0. The play in the first half was sloppy, and the team seemed to struggle to find any sort of offensive rhythm. After halftime though, the Bears came out roaring, moved the ball around better and thoroughly controlling the game.

“We woke up in the second half and realized what we were playing for. We were playing for the championship; this game was the season. We dominated the second half,” Scaman said.

Senior midfielder Caitlin Malone leveled the match after taking a cross from junior midfielder Elyse Hanly and heading the ball into the back of the net in the 62nd minute.

The winning goal would not come until the 90th minute. Rosoff hit a pass in front of the goal, which Malone drove into the back of the net.

“When the second goal went in, I had no idea how much time was left. They told me that there was 15 seconds left,” Malone said.

The team, which has National Championship aspirations, has not lost sight of what they need to do, despite the exciting and eventful weekend.

“Winning conference has always been our team’s goal. Had we not won conference, [we] would have been pretty upset,” Malone said.

“Third year in a row being UAA champs is a great feeling. It shows how much work we put in… how much we love it. But it’s only the beginning. Every single game is big. Every single game we will play is bigger game than any game we’ve had,” Scaman added.

Wash. U. finishes UAA play on Saturday against the University of Chicago. The game will be at 12:30 p.m. at Francis Field.

“The will of our team and the team dynamic is what’s getting us through all of these games. It’s our chemistry,” Scaman said. “It’s not because we have the most talented individuals, it’s because we play for each other and we play for the love of the game.”