Women’s Soccer: Wash. U. stays atop the UAA

No. 11 Washington University women’s soccer improved to 11-2-1 (4-0 UAA) on the season with conference wins on Friday against New York University and Sunday against Brandeis University. The team currently has a five-game winning streak.

Freshman phenom Lee Ann Felder netted the game-winning goal in the 84th minute to beat Brandeis 2-1 and keep the Bears on top of the UAA rankings. The goal was Felder’s team-leading sixth of the season. She also leads the team in points with 14 on the season.

While the midfield play against the Judges was again underwhelming, the team still came out slugging, outshooting Brandeis 7-2 in the first half. The Red and Green took a 1-0 lead into the break when a pair of freshmen midfielders combined to break the tie. Freshman Emma Brown got the assist as classmate Rachel Haas took advantage of a loose ball in front of the net and scored her first collegiate goal.

In the second half, the Judges tied the score in the 73rd minute. The gamed seemed destined for overtime until Felder scored on a gorgeous pass from senior midfielder Caitlin Malone. Felder dove and made contact with the ball, punching it into the back of the net.

“Lee Ann’s goal was amazing,” junior back Cassie Scaman said. “Even though we didn’t play to our capabilities, we still came out with a win, so that definitely says something about the character of our team.”

Friday’s game against New York University played out in very much the same format. Senior Jenny Philip netted her second goal of the season in the 35th minute as she one-timed a cross from Brown. The Violets went on to tie the game in the 60th minute.

With the pressure on, Malone sent a ball into the far corner of the net with Brown again assisting. The goal was the 18th of Malone’s career, moving her into 10th place on the all-time goals scored list. The goal was also the 10th game-winner of her career, good enough for fourth place on the all-time list.

“We remain undefeated, which was our overall goal for the weekend,” junior forward Caryn Rosoff said. After winning both weekend games, the team holds a one-game lead in the UAA over No. 18 Emory University.

“Winning the UAA would be huge since it would give us an automatic bid to the [NCAA Tournament]…we definitely have a target on our back. It’s easy to get complacent because we’re on the top,” Rosoff said.

The Lady Bears continue their UAA campaign on Oct. 31 at Rochester. The Bears finish off their four-game homestand against 10th-ranked Rhodes College on Saturday, Oct. 25 at 9:30 a.m.