Bears trample Emory

The Washington University women’s soccer team made a statement in the UAA this Sunday by defeating rival Emory 2-0 for the team’s third straight win and pushing the Bears to 9-2-1 (2-0 UAA).

The Bears remain undefeated at home this season, boasting a record of 5-0-0. The upset win against the No. 11 Eagles also pushed No. 18 Wash. U. to the top of the conference standings.

“We’re just trying to get off to a good start in the UAA. Emory is a good team, and we just needed to play well,” Head Coach Jim Conlon said.

While the midfield play was not nearly as dominant as usual due to the strength of Emory’s midfield, the defense did not wilt. The Bears won the shots on goal battle 8-5 but did not allow any close attempts.

The best shot attempt on the Wash. U. goal came as Emory’s Joyce Lam blasted a shot from 30 yards in the 35th minute. Senior keeper Amanda Boe deflected the shot and cleared the ball.

When asked about her shutout, Boe gave all the credit to her defense. “[The defense] has been great…their cohesion is really good. They move as a unit. If the other team doesn’t score, we don’t lose. That’s the way we look at it,” Boe said.

On the other side of the ball, the Bears mustered two goals against a usually stingy Emory defense, which had only given up three goals all season in 12 games. The first goal came off of a corner kick taken by junior midfielder Libby Held that arced into the box. Senior Sam Murphy headed in the corner kick by the far post.

In the second half, the Bears’ offense became even livelier. Emory goalkeeper Sarah Wilkerson made a beautiful diving save on a shot from the left. Unfortunately for the Eagles, however, freshman midfielder Lee Ann Felder took the rebound and scored to extend the Wash. U. lead to 2-0. The goal was Felder’s fifth of the season.

“It feels amazing. We’ve been practicing all week for this. We deserve this,” Murphy said. “We’ve struggled, but we’re starting to put it together for conference.”

The game was also the first game back at home after an extended road trip. Wash. U. will be playing its next three games, two of which are UAA conference games, at home. The team is next in action against New York University on Friday at 5:30 p.m. in a batte for sole possession of first place in the UAA.