Bears suffer setback on road

The Washington University women’s soccer team dropped a heartbreaker to the Division-II Missouri University of Science and Technology on Wednesday with a score of 3-1. After winning two straight road games and four overall, the Lady Bears again fell while off Francis Field, where they are a mediocre 2-2-1.

During road games, the team has played inconsistently, often allowing the first goal, which happened Wednesday night.

Throughout the first half, Wash. U. controlled the tempo of the game and played aggressive soccer. They actually led the competition in terms of shots taken and pressure applied. However, despite the offensive force exerted, the team was unable to find the back of the net.

“We played really well in the first half; we really controlled the game,” senior midfielder Lauren Mehner said. She also emphasized that the team cannot afford to start slowly and needs to start strong with a fire and carry that passion throughout the game.

Once the second half began, the Lady Miners quickly scored three goals in the first 20 minutes before the Bears had a chance to adjust and react to the sudden attacks.

“They went on a scoring run and got three fairly quick goals…we battled really hard, but we weren’t able to come up with a win,” Mehner said.

The three goals scored against Wash. U. were a season high and came after the team had surrendered five goals over its previous eight games. On Wednesday, however, the defense did not clamp down like it had been doing in the previous weeks, and the team also failed to clear the ball from around the net.

Injuries did not help the Lady Bears’ defense, as junior Emily Bylsma was out with an injury while senior Carly Anderson was limited by illness. Wash. U. was forced to change its formation and use only three backs instead of the traditional four.

“We had to play with a three-back set more than we were used to…it added to the confusion,” Mehner said.

Despite being down 3-0, the Red and Green managed to score one goal. Senior Caitlin Malone took a pass from junior Carter Schwarberg and put it into the back of the net.

“After Malone scored the goal, we seemed to get into it. We just weren’t consistent,” freshman midfielder Lee Ann Felder said.

If the Bears did in fact regain that fire, rhythm and intensity, it could not have come at a better time. Washington University starts conference play Sunday, Oct. 5 at Carnegie Mellon University.

“It’s a bump in the road. We need to focus on putting the game away when we have control of the game. It’s a wakeup call, [and] it’s a good time to come. Our fate is still in our hands,” senior Shirey Lane said.