Bears travel with mixed results

The Washington University women’s soccer team hit a roadblock in its quest for the national championship this weekend.

On a West Coast swing in California, the Lady Bears dropped their first game against Chapman University 0-1 on Thursday, salvaged a 0-0 tie in double overtime against the University of Redlands and finally produced a 4-2 come-from-behind victory against Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Colleges on Sunday.

The recent stretch of games marks the first blemishes of the 2008 season after the soccer team started the season 2-0. They are now 3-1-1.

In the women’s first game, the Bears outshot Chapman 15-8 and earned two more corner kicks. However, despite those efforts, they were not able to put a ball past the Chapman defense and into the back of the goal.

Luck was not on the Bears’ side as two shots in the second half clanged off of the crossbar. Chapman University scored the lone goal late in the 85th minute, sealing the Bears’ fate. After losing the heartbreaker, Wash. U. came out the next day and played a grueling match against the University of Redlands that went into double overtime, only to end in a tie. Once again, the Bear offense was not lacking in that it once again outshot its opponent 17-14. “We just couldn’t hit the net,” Head Coach Jim Conlon said.

The Red and Green’s best chance came when freshman Rachel Haas followed a shot by junior Becca Heymann that went off the post, but a Redlands defender made a valiant play to preserve the tie. While the Redlands were once again unable to capitalize on their chances, they did manage to play good defense and avoid the loss column. Junior Caryn Rosoff led the attack with six shots, three of them on goal. “We need to capitalize on the opportunities we create,” senior Lauren Mehner said.

On Sunday, the Bear’s relentless attack finally came to fruition as they scored four goals. The Red and Green fell behind with a 2-0 deficit after the first half. “We refused to lose today,” Mehner said.

Wash. U. hit hard and fast late in the game. The Red and Green scored three goals in three minutes to take control. Rosoff opened up the scoring with a goal in the 51st minute.

Lane then took a pass from freshman Lee Ann Felder, dribbled up the right side and drilled a 30-yard shot that went right over the goalkeeper. “One of my personal goals this season was to score a goal,” Lane said. According to Lane, it was her second career goal and first since her freshman year.

Mehner connected for the next two goals as the Bears rolled over Claremont-Mudd-Scripps to finish the road-trip with a win. Mehner headed home a cross from junior Elyse Hanly and scored a header in the 60th minute off a corner kick from Heymann.

The Bears return home to take on Conlon’s former team, Wartburg College.  Conlon will be looking for his 100th career win as a collegiate coach. The game will be at Francis Field on Sunday, September 14 at 1 p.m.  “4-1-1 is our goal,” Coach Conlon said.

Additional reporting by Johann Qua Hiansen