Bears begin season with two home wins

The Washington University women’s soccer team showed that it can win in any manner and by any margin by sweeping both of its games this past weekend.

With new coach Jim Conlon, formerly of Wartburg University, at the helm, the team cruised to a 4-0 win against Hope College on Saturday, one night after earning a 3-2 win against Calvin College in overtime. With a 2-0 record, the Lady Bears solidified the number nine rank in the latest NSCAA Division III National Rankings and won the Washington University Classic.

On Friday, the women’s soccer season opened at Francis Field against 19th-ranked Calvin College.

Lee Ann Felder, the lone freshman starter, scored the first goal for Wash. U., and she and Rosoff assisted each other on their goals.

“I’m glad that I got the playing time,” Felder said. When asked what was going through her mind when the ball was coming to her, she responded, “I better get to it.”

The contest between the two highly regarded teams could not be resolved in regulation. After falling behind 2-1, junior Caryn Rosoff, the 2007 UAA Player of the Year and the team’s leading scorer, was assisted by senior co-captain Carly Anderson with nine minutes left in the game to force overtime. Rosoff, the UAA Athlete of the Week, then won the game with a second goal.

“I’m just happy for the girls,” Conlon said of his first win as a Bear, also crediting the win to the girls’ spirit.

Saturday’s contest with Hope College, however, was not filled with drama. The soccer team dominated from beginning to end. The Bears created a barrage of good shots, outshooting Hope 30-1, including 16-1 on goal. Sophomore Laura McGinnis, Rosoff and seniors Kristen Hilligoss and Jenny Philip each scored in the win.

“It feels good, nice, to get a goal right away,” Hilligoss said. “It’s good to make an impact.”

While Hilligoss was happy with her performance, she cares more about the success of the team. “Our ultimate goal is the national championship.”

The defense may be lost among the offensive explosion. The defense also stepped up in the game against Hope, allowing only one shot on goal the entire game, which came 22 minutes into the game.

“Tonight was a great team win—great team effort,” Conlon said. He also emphasized how important it was for all 26 players to be contributing.

Now that the team has come out of the gates strong, they look to go 5-0 as they go on a three game road trip to California. The Red and Green will face Chapman University on Thursday before a Friday matchup with the University of Redlands and Sunday’s game against the Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Colleges.