Let there be CONDOMS

Imagine for a second that you are planning a date with your guy or gal tomorrow night, and there are all sorts of sappy romantic activities set out. Because you and your significant other have decided to have sex, and you are a sensible adult, you try to buy some condoms.

You don’t have a car, it’s cold outside, and Walgreens is about a mile away. So you head to Bear Necessities, only to find out that there are only two types of condoms being sold. This is unreasonable. In an environment of 18-22 year olds, some of whom are sexually active, we need to have more options than that.

We live in an era in which sexual relationships are a common occurrence, and the school does a lot of things right in order to make sure that everyone is as healthy as possible. There are condoms on every RAs door (assuming your cheap floor mate hasn’t stolen them already), and plenty of sexual health education sessions when you first arrive.

But when it comes down to it, nothing can be as good as a condom that you know works, and you know fits you. When I first had sex, it took me a decent amount of time to find a condom that I found comfortable, and that I was happy to use.

Being comfortable and confident in your protection methods is a necessity when what you are preventing is unwanted pregnancy and STIs. What if someone has an allergy to those two brands of condoms, or the lubricant they use? Most drug stores carry non-latex condoms, or non-lubricated ones so allergies wouldn’t be a problem.

The other main issue is size. All tropes and jokes aside, men do not have all the same penis. I’m not simply talking about those people who use Magnums, for whom regular condoms can be uncomfortable. Different brands like Durex and Trojan have different shapes to them, which a person might find better fitting depending on whatever factors happen to determine condom comfort for an individual.

You might be thinking that you can just suck it up, but any discomfort (too tight, too small, too big, etc) implies that you aren’t using the condom effectively, and that it could break or fall off. Suddenly an issue of discomfort has become a health issue.

Yes, I understand that Walgreens is not that far away. But sometimes I don’t have the time to head over there if I don’t have a car. We all work hard, and our days are busy. I just don’t have the time to walk a mile just to buy condoms all the time, and I can’t afford (or really have any reason to) buy in bulk when I happen to be nearby.

Wash. U. should really provide more condom options than that. It’s not difficult, just buy some more. We don’t need the options of a drug store, and we don’t need 28-packs. I’m perfectly happy to purchase them in packs of three like I currently have to. What I want is just a few more options so that the many different people who have many different tastes in condoms are catered to.