Morgan Street expands distribution

| Scene Reporter

Morgan Street, a popular Thursday night destination for Wash. U. students, plans to expand its microbrewery arm. The brewery plans to distribute its Bohemian pilsner at various establishments across the St. Louis metropolitan area.Courtesy of Marc Gottfried

Morgan Street, a popular Thursday night destination for Wash. U. students, plans to expand its microbrewery arm. The brewery plans to distribute its Bohemian pilsner at various establishments across the St. Louis metropolitan area.

Though Morgan Street Brewery may be better known among students as a Thursday night destination, it’s also a reputable microbrewery. And thanks to a new partnership, the brewery will be distributing its previously exclusive Bohemian pilsner on tap at other locations—among them Fitz’s on the Loop, Harry’s Bar and Grill on the Hill, and Sundecker’s on the Landing.

“We’re ready to rock,” said brewmaster Marc Gottfried.

Though Gottfried maintains that Morgan Street is “a restaurant first,” the establishment is in the process of a $200,000 expansion to enable a larger production scale for its brews. The brewery’s management hopes for a 7-year return on its investment.

Morgan Street won the Olympics of brewing when it took the gold at the World Beer Cup 10 years ago for the pilsner, which Gottfried describes as “more sweet than it is bitter,” with a dark color and a malty flavor that gets better with age.

The brewery’s distribution partner, Lohr Distribution, has expressed interest in producing bottles and cans. Gottfried is also thinking about distributing and brewing in other states.

In recent years, Morgan Street has proven to be innovative and unafraid of expansion. Since 1995, the brewery has opened a nightclub and beer garden behind the original building. More recently, it opened The Lounge, a martini bar.

In addition to its soon-to-be-felt impact across the St. Louis area, Morgan Street regularly has five different beers on tap and tries to keep up with seasonal brews.