Money Smart Week to promote fiscal literacy

Claudia Vaughan | Senior Scene Editor

Becca Christman | Student Life
With graduation weeks away, members of the Washington University community are working to educate students stepping into the real world about money smarts.

From Saturday, April 5 through Saturday, April 12, the Olin Library will be hosting an event called Money Smart Week, part of an ongoing campaign meant to raise public awareness about financial literacy and to educate both students and residents of the local St. Louis area about other financial matters.

The event is sponsored by the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, which is working in conjunction with libraries in all St. Louis regions, not just Olin Library. At each location there will be unique events occurring with different speakers discussing a variety of financial topics, and all events will be open to the public.

Wash. U. Treasurer and Associate Vice Chancellor for Finance Amy Kweskin was at the center of the effort to coordinate the on-campus event. She hopes educate students about key financial matters early on in their adulthood.

Many of the events throughout the week will focus on educating attendees about matters that are applicable to those enrolled at Wash. U., such as student and parent loans.

The highlight of Wash. U.’s Money Smart Week will be a pizza party hosted by Olin Library on April 8 at 6 p.m. The open event will be for students who wish to learn more about online fiscal tools the Federal Reserve Bank has developed and tips for being financially responsible, featuring two speakers.

The first speaker will be Adi Redzic, director of the iOme Challenge—a financial education movement—who will speak about the importance of every individual being financially responsible. The motivational speaker will recount his personal journey coming to the United States with less than $300 to his success as an entrepreneur, highlighting the ways in which he survived on very limited funds.

The second speaker will be Andrew Meyer of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis who will speak about credit, answering questions about the difference between good and bad credit, how to check your credit score and how to improve your credit.

Looking forward, Kweskin wants the union between the University’s treasury department and the library to remain year-round instead of coming together once a year for a week-long event.

“Our hope is that we can continue this effort and utilize the library as a focal point where we can keep [financial] information current for students if they want to get literature on financial things,” Kweskin said.

Editor’s note: A prior version of this article said that the pizza party in Olin Library would be an opportunity for students to learn about the Federal Reserve Bank. To clarify, the event will highlight some online financial literacy tools the Federal Reserve Bank has developed.