We like to party

| Scene Reporter

Winter is truly here. The sidewalks and stairs are starting to become icy at night. Fraternity rush will keep those meccas of partying closed until after bids. So not only is it unsafe (unless your name is Apolo Anton Ohno), but there is also nowhere to go at night. Going to a club is always an option, but once you add in the taxi fare and the cover and even drinks, it’s an expensive one. What to do? In the words of Liz Lemon, say: “Yes to love. Yes to life. Yes to staying in more!”
Now, don’t get me wrong. I don’t mean staying in more like curling up under a blanket and watching “The Notebook.” I mean staying in more, and having your own party. Here are a few suggested themes.

Silent Party

This party is like those YouTube videos of flash mobs of people wearing headphones and hoodies and dancing in huge groups. There would be no music playing externally. Just a bunch of people, each dancing to the beat of his own iPod. It’d be fun. It’d be quiet. It’d be impossible to hear other people. It’d be an easy way to hang out with the people you’d rather not speak to. Nota bene: I do not actually advocate throwing one of these parties, because if someone intruded into the party, all of you would look incredibly lame. But if your RA is a stickler for rules and a little ReDD Flag happy, a party like this might be your only option.

Blacklight Party

Yes, it seems like everyone has one of these. And I have yet to go to one with a black light that is actually cool. It’s your move, class of 2015. Throw a party worthy of being called a blacklight party.

Cinema 2011

Oscar nominations were just announced, so what could be timelier than a costume party about every movie that was nominated (or unjustly snubbed)? Imagine the possibilities: Oh look, there’s the dog from “The Artist” and Lisbeth Salander making out! J. Edgar Hoover and Maggie Thatcher had a thing? Who knew! “Harry Potter” characters? How unoriginal. I really hope that the girls dressed up as “Bridesmaids” didn’t just have Brazilian food…

‘90s Nickelodeon Party

This one was inspired by my freshman floor theme. We all love ’90s Nickelodeon. There were so many brilliant shows and so many potential costume opportunities: “Cousin Skeeter,” “Are You Afraid of the Dark?,” “The Wild Thornberrys,” “Rugrats,” “Rocket Power.” You could mix and match, or you could just have one. Personally, I think a “Rocket Power” party would be awesome. Rock on with your bad selves, Wash. U.