Wardrobe Watch: Why you should still be dressing normally at home

Tyler Sabloff | Senior Editor

A major part of staying sane during this crisis is to retain some sense of normalcy. It’s really easy to succumb to wearing the same pair of stained sweatpants and an old t-shirt day in and day out for weeks on end. I’ll admit, for the first few weeks of online class I was pretty much rotating between the same two pairs of old sweatpants. I thought, “Why bother? No one is going to see me anyway.”

However, the more I let myself get into the routine of doing this, the less productive and more out of step with normalcy I felt. Part of staying sane during this crisis is to retain as much of a sense of a regular daily routine as possible. And that goes for any and everything you did before that you can still do. Retain a consistent sleep schedule, eat regular meals, etc. And included in that is wearing what you would as if we were all still on campus.

This isn’t to say you have to dress in your most over-the-top attire on a daily basis. There is no reason to sit around in your house in a nice jacket or boots. And, no, you do not have to Zoom into your 10 a.m. marketing class in a full suit and tie. But throwing on a pair of jeans instead of pajamas and wearing one of your nicer, better-fitting shirts rather than an oversized one could help you feel more in cycle with your normal school schedule. For me, retaining that routine of showering and putting on a regular outfit helps me to stay in the mindset I had during regular class.

Now, there’s the unfortunate hurdle for many students whose entire wardrobe is currently tied up in their dorms and who only have the single bathing suit and four T-shirts they took with them on spring break. For those of you who are in that predicament, I’m very sorry. You get a pass. But if you have your wardrobe on-hand or at least part of it, I strongly recommend throwing on something more typical of your daily life just to maintain that sense of routine.

The lack of structure of daily life is one of the biggest consequences from the cancellation of in-person class. It’s easy to deal with that loss by just resorting to low motivation and low effort in all aspects of life. Doing anything possible to counteract this is fundamental to not getting completely lost in all this madness. I know putting on jeans, a nice shirt and sneakers just to sit at home may seem pointless, but maintaining that normalcy could go a long way.