Night three in the Olin Games: A victorious Dorian

| Senior Scene Editor

For a behind the scenes look at the Olin Games, watch a video of the week here.

The insanity is over. You can all stop asking us, “What is the Olin Games?” The Olin Games is the past. The Olin Games is history. The Olin Games is the friends we made along the way. The Olin Games is what you make of it. For Rohan, it was a humorous thing he agreed to with no intention of following through. For Elena, it was a competition to demolish until fever got in the way (the true Peeta Mellark). For Ella, it was that thing she said she’d do, then she realized what she agreed to and said, “Oh, hell no.” For me, it was a second try at survival. For Josh, it was a friendly bonding game. And for Dorian, it was just another day in an extraordinary life.

We hope you enjoyed our escapades. We hope you made light of them with your friends, or ogled at us on the couches. We hope you were entertained. We hope we made you think twice before bragging that you practically live in Olin Library. We hope you’ll be up to the challenge to participate in an Olin Games in the future.

**Cannons Fire** Tribute Josh has been eliminated

It’s 12:41 a.m., I’ve just gotten into my room and I breathe a sigh of relief. I’m dead. I know what you’re thinking, “Josh, you were doing so well; you were so full of hope and pep. How did this happen?” Well I’ll tell you: I was defeated by Olin.

After services, work and classes, I headed over to the Student Life office for production. I had spent the day tired, hungry and sore. My neck, my back, my shoulders and my (word that rhymes with back) were aching after three days of sleeping on those couches that were just a bit too small. I had a headache and spent the full day teetering on the edge of falling asleep. I think Eminem can sum this up better than I can: “His palms are sweaty, knees weak, backpack is heavy. There’s exhaustion in his eyes already, mom’s spaghetti.”

Even more than physically, I was mentally and emotionally exhausted. I’d had very little privacy since the Games started and I wanted some comforts like a real bed and a hot shower.

After I finally ate, I began to feel better and thought that I might stay in the game, but as the night grew later, my exhaustion began to increase exponentially. And so, around 12:30 a.m., I caught a ride back to the Lofts from Lauren.

And we’re back to 12:41 a.m. I feel a wave of relief as I dump my bag on my floor, knowing that the next time I pick it up it will be far lighter. I decide that I’ve earned the right to a nice night and that I can sleep in tomorrow morning. And a nice night I did have.

Almost instantly, I changed into my sweatpants that I had to leave at my apartment due to space considerations. I then spent the next hour and a half watching “Parks and Recreation” and listening to music without headphones in. I made a nice snack and had a long, hot shower. I remember the last thought that popped into my head as I fell asleep in my bed was “totally worth it.”

Final Tribute Log

Dorian

As the games wind down toward their end, I’m as energetic as ever. I stayed up until 1:30 a.m. editing an essay, then meandered over to Cupples II to shower before I slept for the final time in Olin Library. I should have showered in Cupples II much earlier; the Danforth University Center shower sucks. The water pressure is always either too high or too low, and the temperature is either unbearably hot or freezing cold. The Cupples shower also ran pretty hot, but the water came down at the perfect cascading tempo. I felt refreshed as I marched up the stairs, across the brief passage between the buildings, into Olin and down the stairs. I decided to change up my arrangement for no reason other than the fact that I could afford to take risks. I slept in the A Stacks on these really saggy blue chairs. In hindsight, they’re really good napping chairs, but not great sleeping chairs. I read this piece I saw on Twitter about Chevy Chase, then read the tweets dunking on it; I could think of no better way to relax before officially winning the Olin Games. I finally fell asleep a bit after 4 a.m. I woke up at 8:49, 19 minutes into my first class of the day. I opted to return to sleep as a victor. It was strange, no longer being required to rest in Olin but choosing to do so under my own free will. You know how after you win in Mario Kart, you can watch your character circle around the track, celebrating? It’s like that but in real life. I slept in the library until 11:50, when I had other responsibilities.

We are only a day removed from the Olin Games as I am writing this, but I am already a changed man. College has this tendency to feel like an extended summer camp to me. Living out of Olin made me feel like an adult. I felt self-sufficient and responsible. My experience within the Olin Games was nothing short of empowering. People have asked me, “Dorian, what do you get if you win?” My answer for most of the Games was pride and a cool story. But now, I see that the real Olin Games was the friends we made and lessons we learned along the way.