Halloween in the STL: 2014 Edition

Halloween this year is on a Friday, so there is simply no excuse not to go out with friends, wear a super elaborate costume and have a great night. If you’re looking to get off campus this year, and the Top Shelf event at Harry’s really isn’t your scene, check out these St. Louis Halloween events, ranging from a world-class haunted house to Halloween parties all over town.

The Darkness Haunted House

Rated America’s best haunted house, The Darkness, which celebrated its 20th anniversary of scream-inducing, bone-chilling special effects in 2013, is a St. Louis tradition for Halloween lovers near and far. The Darkness consists of the two-story Darkness Haunted House, the Terror Visions 3D Haunted House, and the Monster Museum and gift store. Each year, the attraction is entirely renovated to exceed visitors’ high expectations. The upstairs section of The Darkness has 10 new scenes, including a flying zombie and zombie special effects room, where zombies appear to be coming directly toward you. The Darkness team has also taken gory to another level, so if you’re into that kind of thing, get excited for the new serial killer room featuring Sawzilla, a human killing machine. This is no trick: if you enter, beware because you may just be Sawzilla’s next treat.

Fright Night at Ballpark Village

For a multi-venue, 21+ Halloween experience, you may want to check out Fright Night at Ballpark Village. Even though the $35 price tag may seem lofty, it includes an all-inclusive beverage package from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. at Cardinals Nation, FOX Sports Midwest Live!, Budweiser Brew House, PBR St. Louis and Howl at the Moon. The event will feature disc jockey Mike Justis and a costume contest with $5,000 in total cash prizes. For those under 21, hit up Busch Stadium to see a free performance by Jambone from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. and also a midnight screening of the “Rocky Horror Picture Show.”

‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’ at the Tivoli

In keeping with the Halloween tradition, go see a midnight screening of Rocky Horror at the Tivoli on the Loop. Enter into the Frankenstein-esque world of Dr. Frank Furter, a transvestite from “Transsexual, Transylvania,” who claims to have discovered the meaning of life in his creation of Rocky. Comedy, mystery, love and of course, horror mingle in the events that occur when Brad Majors and Janet Weiss stumble upon Frank’s castle after getting a flat tire on a cold November evening.

Haunted Heights

Three Sixty is hosting a festive Halloween party this year, with spooky-themed drinks, a prize drawing and a costume contest. For just a $10 cover charge, you can be a part of this annual Halloween bash, sure to draw a large crowd of college students from the area. The party will also feature tarot card readers, mediums and psychics, so if Halloween seems like the ideal night to determine just what your future may hold, this is your chance at a glimpse into the crystal ball.

Nightmare of Washington

My Drink On is back this year, hosting its annual pub crawl on Washington Avenue, featuring The Over/Under Sports Bar, Flannery’s, Hair of the Dog, Rosalita’s, Bobby’s Place and Flamingo Bowl. A $25 ticket gets you free admission to any of the above venues, along with three drink tickets and drink specials at many of the above bars. While you’re there, make sure to enter the Halloween contest by posting photos of you and your friends decked out in your most elaborate costumes on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram tagging @MyDrinkOn and #NightmareOn for a chance to win $1,000! Each post counts as an additional chance to win. This is a perfect opportunity for those ages 21+ to escape the Wash. U. Bubble and meet locals and other college students in St. Louis.

Spirits in the Garden: Creepy Crawl

Looking for a classier way to celebrate All Hallows’ Eve? Explore the beautiful St. Louis Botanical Gardens in the moonlight while sampling spirits from several local distilleries including Lion’s Tooth, Mad Buffalo Distillery, Mastermind Vodka, Pinckney Bend Distillery, Wood Hat Spirits, and Square One Brewery and Distillery.

The price of admission is $30 for the general public, $20 for Botanical Gardens members and $15 for designated drivers and includes the samples from the distilleries above along with appetizers, a dance party on the Garden Grounds from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., a tour where you can learn about the haunted history of the Victorian District and entry into a costume contest with the following categories: Most Spirited Costume, Creepiest Costume, Best Couple or Group and Best Botanical Inspiration.

Monster Bash in the Grove

Hit up the Atomic Cowboy to be a part of one of the biggest Halloween bashes in St. Louis, complete with food and drink specials, live music from Like An Army, a costume contest featuring MC Lola Van Ella ($10 entry fee) and prize giveaways totaling $1,500. The entire event from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. will also feature a live broadcast by 1057 The Points LUX. At midnight, stick around for the Halloweentown after-party, featuring DJ MAHF and a bonfire for roasting marshmallows, the perfect treat at the end of a long night, and especially in the cold temperatures predicted for Friday.