New Ranch Doritos Loco Taco is a cool addition to the Taco Bell menu

| Senior Cadenza Editor

When you think of American innovation, Taco Bell is not the first company that comes to mind. It’s not Apple or Twitter or Google. But it has come up with some of the best ideas of the century, like Fourth Meal or Mountain Dew Baja Blast. Nobody can fault Taco Bell for not knowing its market—it shamelessly reminds its customers that it is open late so that a tipsy taco trip at 4 a.m. is totally tolerable. Recently it’s tried to convince customers that a star chef endorses its product, but I’m not sure why it bothers. Everyone who eats Taco Bell couldn’t care less about Michelin stars and the exact composition of the substance it calls beef. They care that it tastes great while sober and even better when inebriated.

Taco Bell’s latest innovation is the Cool Ranch Doritos Locos Taco. Fresh off of the wild success of its Nacho Cheese Doritos Locos Taco, it was only a matter of time before the company expanded its Doritos-flavored taco shells to the second-most popular flavor of Doritos. Following a savvy social marketing campaign on Facebook and Twitter, in which Taco Bell recruited Internet celebrities like Tyler Oakley to promote the new product, the Cool Ranch Tacos were released to the public Wednesday. Does the new product stand up to the legions of other delicious and delectable fake Mexican menu items?

In short, most definitely. The Cool Ranch flavor of the shell is never overpowering and is more of a hint. Given that it only costs $1.39 and it’s not an entree prepared by Mario Batali, it’s surprisingly subtle. The shell is perfectly crunchy and better than the Nacho Cheese flavor, which suffered because it dominated the flavor of the meat, lettuce and cheese inside. I even enjoyed it more than the normal Crunchy Taco shell. And the tiny bit of Cool Ranch dust on your fingers after your meal is completed will take you back to your lunchbox days when all you had to eat was a bologna-and-Kraft-American-cheese sandwich, a Capri Sun and a bag of Doritos. Like all things at Taco Bell, it should be paired with a Baja Blast and a side of Cinnamon Twists.

So next time you find yourself at a Taco Bell, whether or not it was on purpose, live más and give the new Cool Ranch flavor a try. It’s a much more successful experiment than the Cantina Burrito, and I hope it’s a permanent addition to the menu. It will leave you as content as the tiny Chihuahua mascot.