Five ways to enjoy shorts and t-shirt weather

Sports, drama, kittens and trees

| Scene Reporters
Forest ParkRob Thurman | RobThurman.com

TREEmendous

Join the folks at the Missouri Botanical Garden and Gamma Tree Experts for the ultimate outdoor activity: an arboreal scavenger hunt. From now until the end of September, you are invited to visit mobot.org, where you’ll find the coordinates for 30 of St. Louis’ most spectacular trees in parks all around the county and Illinois. Be one of the first to snap a photo of yourself with half of the list and identify each tree by species (they provide a handy guide), and you’ll earn free admission to MoBot.

Laumeier Sculpture Park

Over 75 giant, thought-provoking, awesome sculptures call Laumeier Sculpture Park’s 105 sprawling acres home. The grounds are perfect for picnicking, and “Man with Briefcase at #2968443,” “Ball? Ball! Wall? Wall!” and “Symphony Lounge” are just a few of the many sculptures that warrant hilarious profile picture-worthy shots. The park is open every day until sunset and admission is free, so spend the day strolling around the beautiful green grass and backwoods trails exploring this open-air museum.  

Cardinals games fo’ cheap

If you love going to professional baseball games, but hate paying more than $5.60 for a ticket, then you are pretty darn lucky you live in Saint Louis. During home games, the Cardinals sell First Pitch Tickets, which means that if you can drag yourself out of bed and be at Busch Stadium by 9 a.m. on game day, you can buy a two-ticket voucher for $11.20. Fifteen minutes before the game starts, you trade in your voucher for an envelope that contain tickets—theoretically—to anywhere in the park. And even though they are almost certain to be Standing Room Only, you can hang out in Ford Plaza, the Left Field Porch, or just snag some empty seats on the upper deck. There isn’t a bad seat in the park.

Soulard Farmers Market

The Soulard Farmer’s Market is only three years younger than the United States itself. 232 years of business must mean you’re doing something right. And that something right is delicious, cheap produce, meats and cheeses, interesting and unique crafts (and craft sellers) and $8 kittens. The selection and cost of the produce here puts everything Schnucks sells to shame. Five avocados for $1, $2 beers and pulled-pork sandwiches for $3.50? Yes please, to everything. The Soulard Farmer’s Market is open from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Wednesday through Friday, and from 6 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Saturdays.

Forest Park Bike/Walk Trails

What’s big, green and gets 10 million visitors per year? Forest Park, of course. Spring is the perfect season for bikers to explore the park’s 7.5-mile bike trail. The trail navigates along the exterior of the park, passing such landmarks as the history museum and planetarium. Along the north side of the park the trail also affords great views of turn-of-the-century mansions. No bike? No problem. A gravel pedestrian path travels adjacent to the bike trail. The path leads to numerous sitting areas nestled among oak trees and calm streams, ideal places to escape the chaos of the last month of school.