Getting back in the swing of things

How to adjust after an ideal winter break

| Senior Scene Editor

For many Wash. U. students, three weeks of break is not enough. Just when that knot in your upper back starts to relax and that nauseous feeling in the pit of your stomach fades away with the memory of final exams, you have to go back to school and start it all over again. It can be tough to recover from the blissful period of nothingness that is winter break, but do not fret, young intellectual. Here are a few tips on how to readjust to your life as a college student at Wash. U.

Lower your culinary standards

That’s right, it’s back to Bear’s Den for you. No more conning your parents into cooking your favorite homemade meals or taking you out for expensive dinners. Look on the bright side, though—your mom doesn’t make you chicken fingers when you come home at 3 a.m.

Stay out as late as you want!

(And maybe even later than that)

“As long as you live in this house, you follow our rules!” Sound familiar? School vacations are notorious for spurning power struggles between parents and children. So spend those first few weekends back at school living it up. You won’t have too much work yet, anyway.

Sew up those holes you burned in your pockets

Remember that wad of cash you had by the end of your family holiday party? Well, it’s not going to last forever. In fact, it probably hasn’t even lasted until now. Be happy with all the great deals you got on holiday sales and learn to be frugal again.

Use up your sleep reserves

If nothing else, winter break serves the purpose of allowing you to sleep 12 hours a day. Since you only really need eight hours a night to function properly, that means you have more than 300 extra hours of rest in your system. So don’t worry about pulling those all-nighters. In fact, you need to, in order to restore your equilibrium.

Become literate again

Imagine this scenario: It’s the first day of class, and your professor is lecturing about course expectations. You take out your notebook and pen and start to write, barely getting through five words before your hand cramps up and you cross out everything you’ve written because it looks like chicken scratch. Now you’re already falling behind, you’ve missed what he’s just said and you’re probably going to fail the class. We’ve all been there, and it’s not a good feeling. So exercise your hand muscles a bit before the first day of classes. And while you’re at it, learn to read again, too.