Mandoli, Ragnone win Student Union elections

Students voted to elect junior Iliana Ragnone as Student Union’s vice president of finance and sophomore Tess Mandoli as SU’s vice president of administration in Tuesday’s election, which saw a record-breaking turnout of 47 percent.

Sophomore Sydney Robinson—who ran uncontested after two other candidates dropped out—will be the new SU president, and sophomores Kyle Jeter and Bilal Hyder, who ran uncontested for vice president of programming and vice president of public relations, respectively, were elected to SU exec as well.

Ragnone won over junior Keaton Schifer, garnering 57.69 percent of the vote to her opponent’s 39.63. She has served as speaker of the Treasury this semester and has been on Treasury since her first semester at Washington University.

Mandoli garnered 53.13 percent of the vote for vice president of administration, beating out sophomore Brian Adler. Mandoli currently is Sophomore Class Council president and previously served as vice president of public relations for her Freshman Class Council.

Students also elected 13 students each to Treasury and Senate, as well as voted on class council races, constitutional amendments and block funding petitions.

Uncle Joe’s, Campus Y, Habitat for Humanity and Emergency Support team submitted block funding petitions and received the 1,017 signatures—or 15 percent of the student body—necessary to be placed on the ballot. Each of these petitions was funded.

Constitutional amendments were on the ballot for making Leaders in Interpersonal Violence an SU entity, providing financial compensation to Student Union executives, revising the class council constitution, eliminating a policy requiring Treasury to reserve a spot for any student who is the only one from their school running and combining Green Events Commission and Student Sustainability Fund into a Student Sustainability Board.

These amendments needed 66.7 percent support to pass and all did save for the compensation of executive officers.