SU proposes constitutional amendments compensating executives, incorporating LIVE

On the Student Union election ballot this Tuesday, students will vote on making Leaders in Interpersonal Violence an SU entity and providing financial compensation to Student Union executives.

Senate and Treasury passed proposals for three other amendments as well: to revise the class council constitution, to eliminate a policy requiring Treasury to reserve a spot for any student who is the only one from their school running and to combine Green Events Commission (GEC) and Student Sustainability Fund (SSF) into a Student Sustainability Board (SSB).

In order for the five amendments to be added to the SU constitution, two-thirds support from the student body in Tuesday’s election is necessary.

Leaders in Interpersonal Violence (LIVE) is currently a Category 1 student group, funded through Treasury’s allocation process. Due to Student Union’s close collaboration with LIVE, through It’s on Us, senior and SU president Kenneth Sng said it makes sense for the group to become an SU entity.

“The primary objective group of having LIVE integrated is that traditionally for our It’s On Us active bystander training we require training facilitators,” Sng said. “SU obviously doesn’t have the capacity to provide students to conduct the actual training, and it makes a lot of sense given the amount of energy we’ve put toward combatting sexual violence on campus for the past two years to have an SU branch dedicated to it.”

Some senators expressed concern that the LIVE constitution did not allow for enough privacy of students who use the group’s services, but LIVE co-president and junior Michael Collins said that this had not previously been an issue.

“If you’ve gone through the thirty hours of training, you usually have the understanding that it’s private,” Collins said during Senate’s session Thursday.

SU’s exec compensation plan would pay officers 60 percent of a modern double dorm’s price, which would currently be around $6,000. While the current SU constitution prohibits paying officers, Sng said this price would be in line with Congress of the South 40’s compensation plan and would make it easier for students from less privileged backgrounds to run for SU exec.

“Our concern is self-selecting bias where only those students who can afford to run for SU exec,” Sng said. “The challenge here is coming up with a compensation level that allows low-income students to participate in the highest level of Student Union without necessarily incentivizing people to run for Student Union for the wrong reasons.”

The Student Union officers who presented the amendment agreed with Sng.

“We want to make sure there’s no socioeconomic barrier with someone who runs for exec; we don’t want there to be that barrier,” sophomore senator Tyler Tran said when presenting the amendment.

Sng said these amendments also align with his overall goals.

“One thing that we did at the beginning of the semester was to have 50 improvements for the student body by the end of the terms,” Sng said. “I haven’t kept count, but this would be five.”

Editor’s Note: This article has been updated in regard to the number of hours LIVE training facilitators undergo. We apologize for the error.