Candidates file for SU elections

Despite a recent internal SU investigation, all Student Union offices have candidates in the running, save a few class council seats.

The investigation, which looked into sexually inappropriate and anti-Semitic comments made by three senators and one class council representative, was concluded Friday.

Junior Amelia Fong, SU’s vice president of public relations, was concerned about how these comments might impact students’ decisions to run for SU positions.

“One thing I was definitely worried about was the impact of the recent events on election turnout, but the fact that the number of candidates for Senate and Treasury was the same is very telling,” Fong said.

Both Treasury and Senate have 13 spots open and 16 candidates running, which senior Kenneth Sng, SU’s president, said is a positive sign for the governing body.

“Both legislative bodies are 100 percent contested, which is heartening news, and this is especially good in the spring semester because exec elections usually take away a lot of candidates from class council, Treasury and Senate,” Sng said. “The fact that Senate and Treasury are still competitive is a heartening sign.”

For SU exec, three positions are contested: president, vice president of administration and vice president finance.

Three candidates are running for president (sophomore Atajah Mothershed, junior Bria White and sophomore Sydney Robinson) and VP Admin (sophomore Brian Adler, junior Danny Weiner and sophomore Tess Mandoli). Two candidates are running for VP Finance (juniors Iliana Ragnone and Keaton Schifer) and sophomores Kyle Jeter and Bilal Hyder are running uncontested for the positions of vice president of programming and vice president of public relations, respectively.

Sng noted that three of the five exec positions have women running, which marks a change from last year’s election.

“Last year, only one female candidate ran for SU exec,” he said. “Three out of five SU exec positions have women running in them [now], which I think is a heartening sign because we don’t want to give up on that front.”

Now that elections packets are in, SU exec shifts its focus to preparing for the March 7 elections. Fong and current Vice President of Administration Cary Cheng, a senior, hope to set up voting booths to encourage participation in the election, as well as to pass out “I Voted” buttons.

SU also plans to generate interest in the election from a debate featuring the exec candidates, which will be held in Tisch Commons the Monday prior to the election.

Sng said he was satisfied with the number of students who decided to run in the election, especially given that Cheng—who is in charge of election efforts—assumed his position just two weeks ago after the resignation of junior Sankalp Kapur.

“We really tried to take a multipronged approach to advertising for the election, and I think that has yielded results, which is pretty heartening given that Cary has only taken over for two weeks,” Sng said.

Editor’s Note: This story has been updated to reflect that Amelia Fong is SU’s vice president of public relations, not administration.