Sng, Kapur, Biswas win Student Union elections

Students voted to elect junior Kenneth Sng as Student Union president, sophomore Sankalp Kapur as vice president of administration and junior Vikram Biswas as vice president of finance in Tuesday’s election that saw a total of 40.7 percent of students vote, just nearly missing spring 2012’s record of 41.1 percent.

Each of these SU executive positions were contested this year, with three candidates running in each race. Sophomores Richard Wu and Amelia Fong, who ran uncontested for vice president of programming and vice president of public relations, respectively, were elected to SU Exec as well.

Sng defeated junior Mike Holtz and sophomore Demetri Kavadas with 60.9 percent of the vote. Holtz garnered 27.8 percent of the vote, while Kavadas received 10.4 percent of votes.

Sng, who was endorsed by more than 45 student groups, was elected VP Finance last year in an uncontested race, and he previously served as a speaker of Treasury and as budget committee chair. Holtz, who served as VP Admin this year, was the winner of the only contested race last year. Kavadas transferred to Washington University from the University of Michigan this past fall.

Kapur garnered 50.1 percent of the vote for vice president of administration, beating out freshman Noah Silverman and junior Chris Wilson. Kapur is currently a SU senator and previously served as an alternate justice on SU’s constitutional council.

Biswas won the finance race with 50.1 percent of the vote over sophomore Keaton Schifer and sophomore Omar Abdelaziz. Biswas has been an SU treasurer for four semesters and was speaker of the Treasury this semester.

A block funding petition for the Sexual Assault and Rape Anonymous Helpline (S.A.R.A.H.) also passed with 86.5 percent of the vote allotting $8,807 to the sexual assault hotline. The group needed at least two-thirds of the vote in order to receive the funding. Block funding petitions allow student groups to appeal directly to the student body for money rather than going through Student Union’s appeals process.