Right-wing students clash over vast Republican preliminary field

Ron Paul, Gary Johnson, Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum, Herman Cain, Jon Huntsman, Rick Perry, Michele BachmanJoe Burbank | Orlando Sentinel | MCT

Ron Paul, Gary Johnson, Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum, Herman Cain, Jon Huntsman, Rick Perry, Michele Bachman

As the Republican primaries and the 2012 presidential election approach, students are beginning to choose their favorite candidates.

While many Democrats on campus are committed to voting for the Democratic incumbent, President Barack Obama, both Democrats and Republicans are starting to speculate as to whom Obama will run against next fall.

Political Science Professor William Lowry says the factions of the Republican party that exist nationwide, as well as on campus, will likely affect the election.

“There is a certain level of dissatisfaction among the voters…it has a lot to do with the party since the party has different factions within it,” Lowry said. “It seems to be that the momentum has shifted towards Romney [but] it is still pretty early to draw too many conclusions.”

The 15 declared Republican presidential candidates range from governors and career politicians to a TV host and a flight attendant. They include Rick Perry, Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, Michele Bachmann, Newt Gingrich, Jon Huntsman, Rick Santorum and Herman Cain.

Members of Washington University’s College Republicans chapter are split over which Republican candidate they will support.

Senior Michael Beitman said he supports Mitt Romney, whom he thinks stands the best chance out of all current Republican contenders.

“He is by far the smartest guy. The field is a little bit weaker than I would like but he looks and sounds presidential,” Beitman said.

Other students in the group voiced differences in opinion.

Junior Michael Rosengart is involved with Jon Huntsman’s campaign, and he thinks the ex-governor of Utah and ambassador to China has the strongest leadership background.

“He has the experience and the record of results to back [his words] up…he has the ideas to move the country forward,” Rosengart said. “I’m involved in Huntsman’s GenH college student and young professional youth with a couple of other students…When Missouri starts playing a role in primary season, we want to have an impact on campus.”

Freshman Kaitlin McTague said she supports Michele Bachmann because she was enthusiastic when she visited McTague’s hometown. She says she likes that Bachmann is familiar with kids after raising dozens of foster children.

As far as Obama getting re-elected, members of the group noted general dissatisfaction with his presidency thus far. They said that he was too inexperienced in politics to become president in the first place.

McTague specifically noted disagreement with Obama’s stance on Israel and his healthcare plan.

The Republican primaries will start this February, leading up to the election next November.