Bon Appetit worker shot in forearm, campus on lockdown for over an hour

| Editor-in-Chief

The Danforth Campus went on lockdown for over an hour yesterday after a shooting on Forsyth Boulevard left a Bon Appetit employee with a gunshot wound to her forearm.

At 1:28 p.m. Clayton police officers responded to a call for shots fired around 6440 Forsyth Blvd., according to a press release issued by the Clayton Police Department. Seven minutes later, students, faculty and staff on the Danforth Campus received notifications through text alerts, phone calls, sirens and the WUSTL app that there was a person spotted with a weapon on the Danforth Campus.

An officer surveys Forsyth Boulevard after the shooting on April 20. The Danforth Campus was put on lockdown from approximately 1:30 p.m. to 2:46 p.m. following the shooting.

An officer surveys Forsyth Boulevard after the shooting on April 20. The Danforth Campus was put on lockdown from approximately 1:30 p.m. to 2:46 p.m. following the shooting.

Immediately following the first alert, the Danforth Campus buildings locked down exterior doors on campus, interim Chief of Police Mark Glenn said.

At 2:03 p.m. another alert followed with an update that a person was injured in a shooting on the Danforth Campus. The all clear followed at 2:46 p.m.

The victim, Jessica Moore, was conscious and alert when treated at the scene, according to the Clayton Police Department press release. She was then transported to the hospital for medical care and her injuries are non life-threatening, according to an email sent to students from Executive Vice Chancellor for Administration Hank Webber at 5:45 p.m.

“When we issued the all clear, it was at the point at which we knew with certainty there was no longer a threat to the campus community,” Vice Chancellor for Public Affairs Jill Friedman said.

An arrest has not yet been made in conjunction with the crime. The suspected shooter was described as an “African-American male with dreadlocks,” according to the Clayton Police Department press release. A police investigation, which is being led by Clayton Police Department, is still underway as of press time.

“[The Washington University Police Department] is supporting Clayton Police as they carry out the investigation,” Friedman said. “But, because the incident occurred in the Clayton jurisdiction, they’re responsible for conducting the investigation and so they have access to the detail and we really have to both respect that and defer to them for the sharing of any further detail.”

Despite rumors to the contrary, Friedman also confirmed that there was no second shooting or disturbance near or at the art school.

Philosophy Professor Mark Rollins was walking out of the Whittemore House when he heard six or seven gunshots coming from somewhere across the street. He said he heard a woman screaming from inside a car parked on Forsyth Boulevard in front of Mallinckrodt Center.

Rollins said it was clear the shooting was coming from inside another car–a black car, he said, that was facing west on Forsyth Boulevard, which then made a U-turn and sped down Forsyth Boulevard in the direction of the art school.

Rollins added that shortly after WUPD arrived and roped off the area, Danforth Campus went on lockdown. Forsyth was also closed between Mallinckrodt Center and Wallace Drive until after the all clear was given.

“Students had done what they were instructed to do; they had gone to a safe place…and they stayed there until the alert was taken off,” he said. “There was a lot of anxiety because there was a lot of texting going on, as you can imagine…and that kind of fostered confusion about what the status of the alert was.”

A GoFundMe page was created soon after the shooting to raise money to support Moore. As of press time, almost $5,910 of the goal of $6,000 had been raised, the page being shared at least 1,500 times via Facebook or twitter.

This is the third emergency notification sent out in the past month with information that a person with a weapon was on or around a Washington University campus. The first incident occurred March 31 on North Campus and the second, on April 11, took place on the Medical Campus and resulted in a teenage boy suffering a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

Additional reporting by Ella Chochrek.

Sign up for the email edition

Stay up to date with everything happening as Washington University returns to campus.