Alpha Epsilon Pi investigation concluded, fraternity placed on social probation for a year

Washington University placed Alpha Epsilon Pi on a yearlong social probation following an investigation into possible alcohol-related violations, of which they were found guilty April 5.

AEPi members were notified of their sanctions Thursday evening. In addition to being placed on social probation, the fraternity will also meet with Campus Life, complete a revised risk management plan and attend University training modules on the topics of bystander intervention and serving alcohol at events. The social probation will be in effect until March 1, 2019; and under it, the fraternity will no longer be eligible to host social events inside their house or off campus.

Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Rob Wild stated that the AEPi chapter had multiple violations regarding alcohol.

“They were found to have violated on at least two different occasions the policies that Campus Life has related to social events with alcohol,” Wild said.

A letter sent to the fraternity’s president, junior Daniel Reiff, by the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards stated:

“If the chapter is found to be in violation of their social probation or other policies during the probation period, the chapter will be required to meet with the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards, and additional sanctions may be imposed that could include the University no longer recognizing the Chapter and the closing of the Alpha Epsilon Pi House.”

Director of Student Conduct and Community Standards Sheryl Mauricio sent a separate letter to students involved with the reporting of the Feb. 22 incident.

“We have moved through a very thoughtful and lengthy process to provide a full and fair investigation based on the reports submitted,” Mauricio wrote.

While the permanent suspension of Phi Delta Theta earlier this semester followed an eight-month-long investigation, the AEPi investigation was shorter as the Washington University Police Department decided that this case did not need to be reviewed by the St. Louis County Prosecutor’s Office.

“Both of the investigations were handled by the Washington University Police Department,” Wild said. “During the Phi Delt investigation, the findings were shared with the St. Louis County Prosecutor’s Office because there was a potential criminal violation. And in this case, the police department…made the decision that there was not necessarily a criminal violation.”

Wild believes that the fraternity chapters on campus do share the University’s interest in safety of all students; however, he says that updating and educating their chapters on the campus policies could prevent further incidents.

“My hope would be that all chapters familiarize themselves with the University’s policies and expectations surrounding events with alcohol,” Wild said. “We put those policies in place really to ensure the safety of all students.”