Olympian Michelle Kwan discusses her successes, identity

Michelle Kwan opened Pan-Asia week by bringing Olympic talent to the podium at Graham Chapel.

As part of this year’s Speaker Series, Kwan spoke on Monday about her time as a skater and in her new career as a State Department senior adviser for public diplomacy and public affairs, as well as her identity as an Asian-American.

Michele Kwan, a former Olympic medalist in figure skating, speaks in Graham Chapel on Monday evening.  Her speech, which was part of the Speaker Series and kicked off Pan-Asia Week, covered her personal inspirations and career in ice skating.Claire Komyati | Student Life

Michele Kwan, a former Olympic medalist in figure skating, speaks in Graham Chapel on Monday evening. Her speech, which was part of the Speaker Series and kicked off Pan-Asia Week, covered her personal inspirations and career in ice skating.

The Chinese Student Association brought Kwan to campus in an effort to find common ground for Asian groups on campus. Vice President of CSA and sophomore Will Chang noted that the week was important for establishing unity between the groups.

“We just wanted to unite people, and we thought Michelle Kwan was a great person to unite everyone under. And from what Michelle Kwan said, she addressed a lot of issues that we have on campus, and I think everyone took something from the lecture,” Chang said.

Kwan discussed her favorite memories of her figure skating career for much of her lecture, highlighting her time at the Olympics.

“When I reflect back on my skating career, I believe the highest honor for me was representing the United States. I still get goose bumps when I think about walking in the opening ceremonies, following the American flag behind my fellow teammates, sometimes getting the opportunity to stand on a podium,” Kwan said.

Kwan skated at the highest level of competition for over a decade; she is a two-time Olympic medalist, a five-time world champion and a nine-time U.S. champion.

Kwan also mentioned the stereotyping that she experiences even as a celebrity.

“We were shopping and waiting in line to check out when this young woman turned and asked, ‘Where do I know you from?’ I let her brood about it for a minute, and finally she turns around and says, ‘Ah! I got it! You did my nails!’” Kwan recalled.

kwanClaire Komyati | Student Life

Kwan also noted the uncertainty she faced regarding her post-athletic career after achieving such lofty athletic accomplishments.

“Its difficult to step away from all of the attention and the limelight, and when you focus your whole life until the age of 26 on a set of goals, at the ripe old age of 26 you retire, you wonder what’s next,” Kwan said. “Unfortunately, many athletes cannot see beyond the sports world…it’s difficult because it’s all you know. I’ll never find a job that I love as much as figure skating.”

Kwan connected her time as a skater to her current career, speaking about the lessons people can take from competitive sports.

“You do learn something from sports that’s good and true wherever you go, and that’s the value of aspiration. In every great thing we try, there are bound to be disappointments and challenges ahead, and I believe aspiration is what carries you through,” Kwan said. “The first lesson that I learned in skating was learning how to fall…no matter how good you become, or how successful you’ll become…I still fell when I was a five-time world champion. The true test, I believe, is how we all recover.”

When Kwan broke for questions, representatives from the CSA asked about Asian-Americans’ presence in politics.

“I think you have to make sure that you follow your own path and passions. Perhaps you don’t see many Asian-Americans in the political path, but it doesn’t mean that you can’t do it,” Kwan responded.

After the event, approximately 80 students and community members were given “VIP” access to a meet-and-greet with Kwan.

Students were pleased with the lecture and generally were excited to have had the chance to see the skater in person.

“I loved it. My sisters and I used to watch Michelle Kwan in the Olympics when we were younger and we would put oven mitts on our feet and pretend to ice skate around the house, so it was nice to hear from her in person,” freshman Monica Machado said.

Senior Daniel Sun was excited about having such a prominent Asian-American present on campus to discuss such non-stereotypical topics.

“She is the first Asian-American woman I’ve ever met who talked so much about sports. It was pretty good life advice. I personally wanted to hear more about the diplomacy stuff she did and some of her stuff post-figure-skating career, but I do appreciate the sort of perspective she gave us,” Sun said.