Business minor made more accessible to all undergrads

Students not enrolled in the Olin Business School will only need 15 credits to complete a business minor, down from previous requirements of 18 to 24 credits. The restructured minor will be offered to all students beginning with the Class of 2014.

Instead of requiring business core classes, student may complete prerequisites for business minors in other colleges. The hope is that these new requirements will remove as many barriers as possible for non-Olin students according to Jeff Cannon, associate dean and director of the undergraduate degree program.

“The purpose for non-Olin students is…to organize business courses in a thoughtful way so [their portfolios] give them something to focus on when they’re being recruited,” Cannon said.

Classes in the business school can have significant appeal to many students not in Olin.

“Everyone needs some sort of business background…because you’re going to be dealing with business in some aspect,” said junior Alex Feng, who wants to go to medical school.

The original requirements, which included many of the core business classes required for students in the business school, had made business minors difficult to obtain, Cannon said.

Sophomore James Ko, a pre-medical student double-majoring in biology and psychology, sees the benefits of these changes.

“[Previously, a business minor] would have been a lot of classes, and to fit it in with my other schedule would have been nearly impossible,” Ko said. “I’m going to seriously consider a business school minor now.”

Not all students will find a business minor easier to obtain, however.

“As an architecture student, I think that a business minor is very applicable to my career,” sophomore Francis Aguillard, said. “However, none of the prerequisites overlap with the architecture curriculum directly.”

Prerequisites for most minors include Calculus II (Math 132 or Math 128), a statistics class (Math 2200 or 3200 or ESE 326A) and Introduction to Microeconomics (Econ 1011).

In addition to this change in structure for non-Olin students, students in the business school will no longer be able to obtain business minors.

While this appears to be a disadvantage to business degree students, Cannon explained that obtaining a business minor as a business student has its drawbacks.

“Corporate America is looking at [minors] as skimming the surface,” Cannon said. “We don’t believe that business students will suffer because they still have the opportunity to immerse themselves in this curriculum. By removing the title, we’re actually doing them a favor by preparing them for the market place.”

Business minors include accounting, entrepreneurship, finance, general business, healthcare management, leadership, managerial economics, marketing and operations, and supply chain management.

The entrepreneurship minor is new as of the spring of 2010. It was added in response to growing entrepreneurial interest across campus.