“It was surreal” — WashU students, staff, and faculty view eclipse

| Contributing Writer

(Sam Powers | Student Life)

Washington University students, faculty, and staff gathered on campus and in locations across Southern Illinois and Southeastern Missouri to view the Great American Eclipse on April 8.

The total eclipse was the first visible from the St. Louis area since 2017, and the next will not occur over the U.S. for another 20 years.

Students responded to a Google Form sent out by Student Life to recount their experiences.

Many students traveled to see the solar eclipse in totality, like senior Renee Fuller, who witnessed it from Mt. Vernon, Illinois. 

“I went with friends to this cultural arts center that had a whole eclipse day with music, food, and games,” Fuller said. “Lots of people were out there with picnic blankets and chairs, and it was very cool to be part of.”

Fifth-year master’s student Aidan Stern, who traveled south, said he “got caught in traffic.” Several reports indicated “a giant traffic jam” on southbound Interstate 55.

Sophomore Abi Wileman, who went to Burfordville, Missouri, said that traffic did not stop them from feeling satisfied with the experience.

“Traffic was awful but worth it,” Wileman said. “Absolutely the coolest experience of my life!”

Senior Eeshani Behara also traveled to see it in totality, saying that it was really special to view it with her friends.

“It was surreal,” she said. “We ended up in a field by a random motel, but we set up our picnic just in time for totality. Seeing and feeling the drastic change during totality was such a unique experience.”

Others stayed on campus, like first-year Abby Lopez, who said that the event was pretty fun. 

Some students who stayed on campus indicated frustration with a lack of eclipse glasses and described WashU’s viewing event as “disorganized.” 

“People kept on trying to steal my glasses because WashU ran out of free ones,” junior Josie Kopff said.

Many WashU faculty, staff, and administrators also joined students in enjoying the eclipse.

Assistant Dean of McKelvey, Kim Cummings, who said she witnessed totality in 2017, said the two experiences were both accompanied by an “eerie alert feeling.” 

She also reflected on how these types of events impact student connection, noting “the sense of community that grows from witnessing these types of events together.” 

Many students, like Behara, added that they appreciated the communal aspect of the event.

“It was such a unique experience, and sharing it with my close friends is one that I’ll never forget,” Behara said.