CDI commemorating social justice mural with book signing and permanent art

| Editor-in-Chief

Photo of the underpass by Staff Photographer Elle Su.

The Center for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) will be commemorating the mural, titled “The Never-Ending Story,” by putting up canvas photographs of the mural and its collaborative painting process in their office. The office will also host a signing event for the book that the lead artist, De’Joneiro Jones, created about the mural.

The CDI bought up all existing copies of Jones’s book for $125 per book, while copies of the book, now out of stock, are sold online for $40. Later this semester, the CDI will be giving out the books to students at a book signing event with Jones.

Dean of the Center for Diversity and Inclusion, Dr. Mark Kamimura-Jiménez, said he wants to help students remember the mural through the CDI’s commemoration efforts.

Six artists collaborated on the underpass work that was originally set to be up for the first two weeks of the fall semester in 2022. The mural was commissioned in the wake of national conversations regarding race and was painted at a time when activities typically advertised in the space could not be conducted as usual due to the pandemic.

The Student Transitions and Family Programs center (at the time called the First Year Center) commissioned Jones to “come up with a mural project that would align with the University’s values around diversity and inclusion,” Dean of Students Rob Wild said.

White supremacists from the group Patriot Front vandalized the mural last December, with one man, Mitchell Wagner, facing a charge of felony first-degree property damage after investigations. Following the vandalism, community members painted “Black Lives Matter” over the part of the underpass that was vandalized.