Lori White appointed 21st president of DePauw University

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Lori White will serve as the next president of DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana, effective July 1. She will end her tenure at Washington University, May 31, the University announced Tuesday.

Courtesy of Public Affairs

DePauw University is a private, liberal arts college with an undergraduate enrollment of around 2,000 students. As president, she will be the only Black woman to hold top office at an Indiana university. White will also become both the first Black and first female president of DePauw University.

White has served in her current role at the University since July 2015. She previously served as the vice president of student affairs at Southern Methodist University in University Park, Texas and has spent over 30 years working in higher education at institutions such as the University of Southern California, Stanford University and Georgetown University.

During her tenure at Washington University, White was tasked with overseeing the Division of Student Affairs, which encompasses over 300 staff members and 1,000 student workers. The division includes Athletics, Campus Life, Residential Life and the Center for Diversity & Inclusion.

White wrote in an email to the student body that while she will miss the University community, the opportunity at Depauw is an important one.

“I feel called to serve for many reasons, not the least of which is changing the image of what people believe college presidents should look like,” White wrote. “I hope my stepping forward to accept this role will serve as an inspiration for the next generation of leaders in higher education, and anyone who aspires to break the mold in their chosen field.”

Rob Wild, associate vice chancellor and dean of students, will serve as interim Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs while the University conducts a nationwide search for White’s replacement.