WU admits new batch of Early Decision II applicants

Washington University concluded the Early Decision II application cycle and accepted the second round of students into the class of 2024, Feb. 13.

Photo by Curran Neenan

This is the second admissions cycle in which the University has offered an ED II option.

The ED II process can allow applicants to demonstrate that Washington University is their top choice while having a later application deadline than ED I applicants. However, applying ED I or ED II signifies a binding agreement that the applicant will attend Washington University if accepted.

Last year, the University accepted around 60% of the class of 2023 through either ED or ED II. The acceptance rate for ED and ED II applicants last year was 38%, compared to an overall acceptance rate of 16%.

Director of Admissions Emily Almas declined to provide specific numbers regarding the size of this year’s ED/ED II applicant pool and acceptance rate, but indicated that the results would be “very similar” to those from last year.

Almas described the ED II program as simply “another outlet” for students to demonstrate their commitment to Washington University.

“From a student perspective, Wash. U. having Early Decision II allows students who either need more time or weren’t ready or were still waiting on something to apply,” Almas said. “So it’s another outlet for students who are really excited about Wash. U. who have identified us as their top choice institution. So, I really think it’s about giving students another option.”

Bryce Kapuano, a high school senior who was recently accepted to Washington University through ED II and plans to attend in the fall, agreed with this sentiment, describing how he applied ED I to a different university and then decided to apply ED II to Washington University when he was not accepted.

“I thought having it as an option was incredibly helpful and I really like that I had the option to choose two different schools that I really wanted to go to and just see how it played out,” Kapuano said.

In other cases, the ED program can reassure students who are anxious about the admissions process.

“I applied to a lot of Early Actions and it made me really anxious that I got deferred from a lot of schools, and I was scared I wouldn’t get into Wash. U. so I decided to apply Early Decision,” high school senior and member of the class of 2024 Yvette Sol wrote in a statement to Student Life.

One concern for students applying through the ED process is financial aid. The University is committed to meeting 100% of demonstrated need for all applicants. However, for some applicants, the financial aid offered by the University may still not be enough, placing ED applicants in a precarious situation since they are obligated to attend the University. Almas assures students who may face this predicament that the University will work with them to ensure a positive outcome.

“Ultimately, we also understand that sometimes a student can’t and their family can’t make the [finances] work,” Almas said. “And so we’ll talk to those students as well. And we’re really thinking about how we can put students first in this process.”

Despite the complexities of the admissions process, Almas remains certain that this process will produce the best possible outcome for the University and for the incoming class of 2024.

“We are really fortunate at Wash. U. to have a robust and really talented and deep applicant pool throughout the year,” Almas said. “So whether it is our Early Decision I applicant pool, whether it’s students who are applying to us through the QuestBridge match process, students who are applying to us through Early Decision II or students who are applying via Regular Decision, we’re really fortunate.”