Planned Parenthood expands, opens Illinois clinic near St. Louis

Various student groups and faculty members reacted positively to news that Planned Parenthood (PP) opened a new facility in Fairview Heights, Ill., 15 miles from the Missouri border.

The facility, which was built in secret to avoid delays that have plagued past facilties, will allow nearby Missouri residents access Planned Parenthood’s services in Illinois, where the Reproductive Health Act expanding abortion rights was passed in June.

Abortion laws in Missouri have faced turbulence in the past few months. An eight-week abortion ban with no exceptions for rape or incest was scheduled to go into effect Aug. 28, but was blocked by a federal judge. Planned Parenthood of St. Louis, the sole Missouri clinic, was denied a license renewal in June, but a court order has allowed the facility to continue operation for the time being.

The Washington University chapter of Planned Parenthood Generation Action (PPGA) described the news as a “real win” for St. Louis residents and is working to increase accessibility to emergency contraception on campus by creating a website informing students of resources on and off campus.

“I was ecstatic when I heard the news,” PPGA treasurer junior Jessica Zodicoff said. “Obviously Planned Parenthood has faced a lot of backlash in Missouri. They know they aren’t welcomed by many politicians and constituents here, but even in the face of so much hate they just fought back harder… Planned Parenthood opening a new location [near] Missouri is a demonstration of its never-ending strength.”

The chapter currently works in connection with the St. Louis facility in the Central West End, and has not yet heard from the Fairview Heights location on a liaison between the two groups, which has previously included assisting with voter registration efforts and canvassing.

PPGA is also working to improve its political advocacy. Their next general body meeting, “Pumpkin spice and call your representatives!” will be held Oct. 24.

Title Mine’s internal communications chair, junior Maia Bender-Long served as a community engagement fellow at Planned Parenthood over the summer, and wrote in a statement to Student Life that the facility’s opening “could not come at a more critical point.”

“We couldn’t be prouder of their commitment to reproductive health rights,” Bender-Long wrote. “As Missouri has lost all but one abortion provider, Missourians are being forced to seek legal and safe abortion methods across the river in Illinois… This facility would greatly improve access to reproductive and sexual healthcare.”

While Title Mine president junior Candace Hayes was disappointed with the adversity that Planned Parenthood has faced in Missouri, she was happy to hear about the new facility opening.

“This will improve the quality of life for so many people with uteruses in Illinois, Missouri and other nearby states who already have to travel across state lines to receive basic care,” Hayes wrote in a statement to Student Life. “Planned Parenthood will not stop fighting until every person with a uterus in every state has equitable access to basic healthcare and I will be fighting alongside them in every way I can.”

Assistant professor of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies Heather Berg expressed excitement over the news in a statement to Student Life.

“This is great news for reproductive justice, especially for poor and working-class people who rely on Planned Parenthood’s low-cost services,” Berg wrote. “It’s also a good reminder that, in this political climate, patients, activists and service providers will have to get creative about circumventing the law. The struggle now, in addition to fighting bad policy in Missouri, is making sure that Missourians have the resources to travel to Illinois for care.”