SU elects new executive leadership

Sophomore Tyrin Truong was elected president of Student Union on Tuesday.

Alongside Truong, sophomore Nia Plump was elected vice president of administration, sophomore Ariel Ashie was elected vice president of finance, sophomore Charlotte Pohl was re-elected vice president of programming and freshman Beth Wiesinger was elected vice president of public relations.

Twenty-seven percent of the undergraduate student body voted in the spring elections. In the spring 2018 elections, 31 percent of students voted.

Truong, who is double majoring in political science and African and African-American studies, joined Senate the fall semester of his freshman year. When looking into his term, Truong said one of his priorities is to address the “inequity” of SU’s funding policies.

“Currently, Student Union isn’t seen as best representing marginalized communities for a plethora of reasons,” Truong said. “The main concerns I’ve heard are mainly dealing with…funding. Cultural and affinity groups feel that they’re underfunded; so, I’m hoping we can tackle that.”

Truong also said he would be interested in restructuring SU to be more student-focused and outward-facing. As speaker of Senate, Truong recently oversaw a similar restructuring in Senate.

“I feel that currently there’s a lot of overlap,” Truong said. “[Diversity Affairs Council works] on a lot of the same stuff that Senate has been working on. With so much overlap, it’s like everyone is working on the same thing. I feel that if we consolidate more, we can all accomplish more together.”

Wiesinger said she has similar goals. She said she’s focused on increasing awareness of SU’s processes and ensuring that SU is representing all their constituents. She also said that she believes SU is making progress towards that goal, but she hopes it will be a priority of the incoming executive board.

“We currently have an advocacy council of a lot of affinity groups on campus…I want to make sure that’s more developed and that cultural groups and affinity groups know of its existence,” Wiesinger said.

As vice president of finance, Ashie said she plans to prioritize making a comprehensive report on the financial experience of marginalized and affinity student groups. She said she hopes the report will inform conversations with impacted groups.

“There’s just such an opportunity to make people’s experiences better,” Ashie said. “This money is not SU’s, it’s really the student body giving [money] to us and giving us an opportunity to allocate it and invest in the things people believe in.”

Pohl served as the vice president of programming for the 52nd executive board. She said that one thing she’s already started working on is her goal of restructuring Social Programming Board.

“I got into the last couple months of my term, and I just felt like I wasn’t done,” Pohl said. “There were a lot of projects and initiatives that popped up towards the end of the term, and there wasn’t enough time to take them on in the last couple months. There are things that I really care about that I just wanted to keep doing. The only way I could do that was to run again.”

Election Commissioner Achint Rai was unable to comment at the time of publication.

Editor’s note: Beth Wiesinger is a photographer for Student Life.