News in Brief: Brown School veteran ally instruction, WU receives NIH grant

News Editors

Brown School of Social Work instructs faculty and staff how to be allies to veteran students

The Washington University Office of Military & Veteran Services introduced a new ally training program to teach faculty and staff on how to be allies to students who are military veterans. The curriculum gives an overview of the United States military’s organization, the different branches and the various roles those enlisted have.

As reported in The Source, two veteran students have acted as veteran student services advisers. Alumnus Jen Goetz and masters student Jesse Herman meet with administrators and faculty members to address how best to support and engage veteran students in the classroom. Combined, they’ve met with over 100 university administrators and faculty members.

NIH gives $11.5 million for leukemia research

Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis received a $11.5 million dollar grant from the National Institute of Health (NIH) to fund research in leukemia and related blood cancers.

Washington University is already home one of the top leukemia research programs in the United States, and the recent NIH grant will fund the National Cancer Institute’s (NCI) Specialized Program in Research Excellence (SPORE) at the University. The SPORE program aims to develop new medical procedures and treatments using pre-existing scientific research.

The School of Medicine first received the SPORE grant in 2013, and the renewal of this grant will allow them to continue their research and clinical trials of new treatments for different types of leukemia, as well as funding for administrative support, career development and resources.

Hengen named 2018 Allen Institute Next Generation Leader

The Allen Institute, a nonprofit medical organization dedicated to accelerating and sharing research globally, selected Assistant Professor of Biology Keith Hengen to be a member of the 2018 Next Generation Leader council.

Members are selected annually through a competitive application process. Hengen was chosen as one of six early-career neuroscientists and one of 18 overall members who will serve on a special advisory council for the Allen Institute for Brain Science. He will serve on the council for three years.

Associate Professors McGlothin, Walke organize “Lessons and Legacies Conference”

Associate Professor of German Erin McGlothin and Assistant Professor of History Anika Walke served as hosts for “Lessons and Legacies XV.” The conference, a leading intellectual gathering in Holocaust Studies, was founded in 1989. The Holocaust Educational Foundation of Northwestern University, partnered with a host university, organizes the biennial conference.

Washington University hosted the 2018 conference, titled “The Holocaust: Global Perspectives and National Narratives,” Nov. 1-4. The events included a screening of Roberta Grossman’s film “Who Will Write Our History? The Secret Archive of the Warsaw Ghetto” and a keynote lecture delivered by Brown University’s Omer Bartov.

Through the conference, more than 300 scholars attended hundreds of talks, panels and other events held on the Danforth Campus and at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza.