is here!

Vic Mensa cancels WILD performance, Tinashe booked as replacement

Aiden Blinn | News Editor

Tinashe will perform at fall WILD in place of previously-announced opener Vic Mensa, Social Programming Board released in a statement Sept. 26.

Mensa, a Grammy-nominated rapper, canceled due to unforeseen circumstances. Mensa was originally scheduled to perform between first opener Wrabel and headliner Carly Rae Jepsen, both of whom will still take the stage in Brookings Quadrangle Oct. 5.

Tinashe is a critically acclaimed R&B artist known for songs like “2 On” and “All Hands on Deck,” as well as her collaborations with Chance the Rapper and Calvin Harris. Despite the last-minute cancellation, members of SPB worked to find a suitable artist to open for Jepsen and are confident in their replacement.

Tinashe attends the 59th GRAMMY Awards at Staples Center in February in Los Angeles. SPB announced Wednesday that Tinashe would be the replacement for Vic Mensa for fall WILD.Lionel Hahn | MCT Campus

Tinashe attends the 59th GRAMMY Awards at Staples Center in February in Los Angeles. SPB announced Wednesday that Tinashe would be the replacement for Vic Mensa for fall WILD.

“The biggest praise we got of this WILD was of the lineup as a whole and the way the three artists [worked] together and [appealed to] such a wide variety of music tastes,” SPB president and senior Dina Guilak said. “In moving forward, we looked for someone with a hip-hop influence to replace [Vic Mensa] in our lineup.”

WILD Director and junior Evelyn Shao also indicated that SPB found Tinashe by seeking out artists similar to Vic Mensa.

“Essentially, we looked at the genre that would be missing as a result of Vic Mensa’s cancellation as well as the budget that we had to work with. Tinashe was the most standout name on the list, so we sent her an offer,” Shao said.

According to Shao, Tinashe’s upcoming show at Austin City Limits Music Festival and experience performing at other universities made the booking process easier.

“The fact that she’s doing [Austin City Limits] means she already has a band and a dance crew and all of that,” Shao said. “She’s also had a really good track record performing at colleges before.”

Guilak expressed excitement about booking a talented artist with name recognition on short notice.

“She’s the biggest-name opener we’ve ever had. We honestly are feeling lucky that we get to bring her and have someone of such a high caliber at WILD,” Guilak said.

Guilak also acknowledged that some students may be disappointed by the cancellation.

“We know that this is really unfortunate and not ideal, but I know we did the best we could in the time frame we had,” Guilak said. “It’s still gonna be an amazing show, and we’re still really excited.”